How Do You Get a Dog to Stop Chasing Cars?

Can anyone help us with two young female German Shepherds? They chase cars relentlessly. We are worried they may be run over. Your input would be much appreciated. Regards.
JEMc

By Jim from Hiawassee, GA

We always kept our dogs in a fenced yard. One was a German Shepherd. He was extremely smart and obedient. He'd sit at the side of the house while my dad was gardening. He was very protective if anyone came around, but if my dad told him to stop (growling, or getting up) he would immediately obey. My in-laws keep their dogs in the house most of the time. I think they need to be trained, or they need physical barriers.

For the dogs' safety and your neighbors' safety, they should either be fenced in or (if you can't afford fence) leashed. Most cities (and even my tiny little town) have ordinances prohibiting dogs from running free.

We only have 1 dog, but wouldn't even think of

allowing him to run loose to chase anything. There's

always the chance of them getting hit by another car

in their frenzy to catch the one they're chasing.

This is a bad habit that is easily remedied.

If you love these animals, and I'm sure you do,

keep them on a leash when you take them outside

or in a fenced area so that at least, they are safe.

You could be saving yourself some big vet bills,

or the needless loss of a beloved pet.

MisMachado

This request is for my daughter (who has no internet access). How do you get a dog to quit chasing cars? Brutus is a mixed breed (very mixed!) and weighs close to l50 lbs. He has already been hit once by a school bus, and now has taken to chasing cars. Chelle is afraid he is going to cause an accident or get killed, he has never been chained up as they live in the "sticks" and everyone in town knows everyone else. She's at her wit's end. Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Thanks,
Cailifouhnofthemist from Williams Lake, B.C.

Answers:

How do you get a dog to stop chasing cars?

If he can't be kept penned up or on a chain, I would suggest a shock collar. She'd have to shout "NO" and zap him the instant he made a move toward a vehicle. That brief shock is much kinder and much less painful than being hit by a vehicle. Over time he should learn not to do that. I'm sure we'll hear from people protesting the use of the shock collar. It is a good training tool for contrary dogs and doesn't really hurt them, it just gets their attention. (10/18/2006)

By Grandma Margie

The dog obviously needs recall training. This is extremely important for the life of the dog. If your daughter isn't interested in training, I suggest building a kennel or fencing in an area for a dog 'run.' If that isn't an option, keep the dog indoors. It's the owner's responsibility to keep the dog alive. Not the dog's. (12/10/2006)

By Anonymous

Ok, well, if you can't keep him chained up and you can't afford a shock collar, what are you supposed to do? (08/10/2007)

By leah