Growing Beets When Rabbits Eat the Leaves

Rabbits have eaten the majority of the leaves on my beets. I am wondering if I should pull them and dispose of them, or will they grow new leaves?

By Debi3735 from Chicago, IL

Nope, leave the beets but by all means try to get the rabbits out of the garden. I would buy an animal cage and try to lure them in and take them miles away from your home if possible. If you can't afford one then try putting noise makers in the garden or put human hair around so they can smell it. The garden center of Lowe,s and other home improvement centers carry products that deter animals of all kinds. Good Luck.

I hear ya! Rabbits have destroyed many of my vegetable plants. One was chowing down on my swiss chard the other day and then the nerve of him, he drops half eaten large leaves on the ground like, "didn't like that one" then goes to the next! Well, the ceyenne pepper did great for my pea plants this year (this is the first year I've been able to grow them with a fantastic harvest). I guess it's time to sprinkle it around and on my chard too. It really does work! No killing them (I love to watch them enjoy a snack in my lettuces), no chemicals, not even organic "chemicals". But you do have to reapply after a rain. By all means let the leaves grow back, they should turn out fine. Good luck!