Globe Costume Idea

Hey there folks. I am looking for some help with a costume. I am going to a party entitled "World's Fair" and was thinking of going as a globe. Of course, I don't know if I can pull it off. I was thinking of a hula hoop at my waist/equator. I would use old white bedsheets that I can paint the continents on. But, two questions: How do I attach the hula hoop to the cloth and how to I keep it round above and below the equator?

Ccap from Winnipeg, MB

If you use two hula hoops and put them perpendicular to each other, you could easily secure where they cross each other with string. I can envision that you could, using white thread, whipstitch the sheet to the hula hoop. The two "pole" areas would need to be cut and overlapped (or "pleated") so that they wouldn't be all bunched up, but that shouldn't be too hard to do. Hope it works!

YOu could take 12 gage craft wire, and make ever smaller circles from the top and the bottom of the equater. Attach them together with 12 gage wire (found in most craft sores) you may want to get a thicker gage though. Glue the sheet s onto the hoop and wires once that is done, snip everthing down the back and make ties on the inside to tie it shut, or you could use a strip of velcro that you could paint too. That would be how to get in and out of it.

You could also cut arm holes for yourself.

Just make sure not to get it to tight around your neck.

I hope this helped you!

I would use three hula hoops, and hot glue them in position (meaning you'd have to leave a seam open until you're done. You might have to cut two of them open to get them over the "equator". I've seen hula hoops at the dollar store. Hope this helps!

I have seen a pumpkin costume done this way -- make a large fabric round bag, and stuff with pillows -- the person I saw used elastic at the bottom about knee level. It might be easier than hula hoops.

Couldn't you starch the fabric around a large beach ball to help it maintain it's shape? Also, I would use ribbon pieces attached with velcro dots intermittently around the globe to hold the hula hoop in place.

Did you get you globe costume done? Do you have pictures? I would like to make a costume like that.

I hope your costume worked out well.

Please post pictures if you can

Crafts Halloween CostumesSeptember 28, 2006
Homemade snow globe.
Making a Snow Globe
Little Girl in Bumblebee Costume
Making a Bumblebee Costume
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Corpse Bride Costume
Making a Hobo Costume
🎉
🎄