Cooking Pasta for 200

What is the amount of pasta and meat sauce needed for 200 servings?

By Dora from TX

Anonymous

General rule of thumb is 2 ounces uncooked pasta per person so that would be 25 pounds of uncooked pasta. If pasta is all that is being served I personally would add about an ounce more per person (about 12 pounds uncooked) to be sure and, under the right health safety conditions, you can always freeze what's leftover. ;-)

I am not sure as far as the meat sauce but any sauce recipe can be multiplied by the amount of the pasta it recommends or if purchased in jars the label should tell you how many servings and just multiply.

Here, in Chile, I've prepared pasta for 60, and results: 1 person/10 persons, do not like pasta. (Eat just the minimum). Maybe you take it in mind. (Tenerlo en cuenta) (And I had four celiacs, too).

I think 120 grams each servings (dry pasta) and similar to Deeli respect the sauce.

I'm going to assume this group of 200 people are either a church group, or pehaps a family reunion, in which case, they would be served a salad and bread along with the spaghetti and hopefully a dessert.

Most men and some ladies will very easily consume 3 ounces of cooked spaghetti, but children will eat less than 1 oz, so as Deeli said, I'd figure on 2 oz of cooked spaghetti per person. You can plan on each person eating about 4 oz of cooked meat sauce, so you're going to need roughly 25 quarts (that's 800 ounces) of the sauce. I would add at least another quart of sauce for those who want more.

Incidently, both the spaghetti and the meat sauce will freeze quite well, but should be used within a month. If I were doing it, I would mix the pasta and sauce and freeze in quart containers.

Sounds like fun. I love cooking for large groups.

I hope this helps with your planning.

Pookarina