Copy Wrapper Measurements Inside Your Cookbook

Some of our butter and shortening wrappers have markings on them for measuring like 1 cup, 1/2 cup, and 1/4 cup. Copy this "ruler" onto the front page of your recipe book. You will be able to measure out the correct amount of a pound of anything that comes in the same shape as a pound of butter, margarine, etc. easily, just by laying your ruler against the one pound block. This is so much faster than scooping it into a measuring cup, and no cups to wash!

Source: Me, frustrated by never finding the right size measuring cups for lard, etc.

By catastrofy from Winnipeg, Canada

I remember a rhyme I learned in elementary school which I use and then bounce from it. Particularly around the holidays when I am preparing to do a lot of baking and determining how much I need to buy.

A pint's a pound the world around.

If a pint is equal to a pound and there are two cups in a pint, a pound of butter is equal to two cups. Thus, each stick is one-half cup, and each half stick is one-fourth cup.

I've never actually measured other groceries such as sugar or flour, but that relationship is very close so I still use it for shopping.

Measuring Ingredients
Measuring Ingredients
Food and Recipes Food Tips Helpful HintsAugust 26, 2009
Homemade Recipe Book Holder
Making a Cookbook Holder
Two kids making fruit kabobs.
Making a Cookbook for Kids
Uncooked Macaroni
Converting Dry Macaroni Measurements
Removing Condensation from Inside a Watch