Store Dry Goods in Refrigerator or Freezer

Store your legumes, flour, oatmeal and nuts in the fridge or freezer. They won't get weevils or insects, and will last longer.

By Dorty from SA

I just freeze my staples a couple of days and that will kill those weevil.

My dry stuff has to sit in the larder- there's never any room in the 'fridge or freezer!

Marg from England.

The nuts need to be in there because they can go rancid but the flour, meal and oats need only to be frozen 24 hours to kill any eggs that come in them. Then they can be kept in the cabinets.

I don't know about you, but I don't have room in my fridge to store all that stuff. Nuts, I always freeze they stay fresh longer. You have to have airtight lids for the fridge or the dry goods get moist. If you have airtight lids then they don't need to be in the fridge.

My first apartment had so many bugs that we had to keep ALL of our food in the fridge! But sealed jars or tins would work, too.

I got a small bar fridge from "Freecycle.org", where people give away stuff they don't need, and store my dry goods in there. It fits between my fridge and stove and is really convenient.

I keep a Bay Leaf in my flour, corn meal and grits. I have not had a problem after I started doing this.

I also keep my puddings, jello, taco mix, chili mix, onion soup mix, anything dry. I got tired of it getting hard waiting on me. Now when I need it, it is ready. I would think even if you froze flour and took it out, it would still get bugs. There is always that chance.

What an excellent idea! I just started having a problem with a mouse, it has nibbled through a lot of my staples. It can't get in my freezer. Thanks.

Dry Goods
Freezing Dry Goods
Home and Garden Pest Control Pantry PestsOctober 6, 2009
A package of cornmeal.
Dry Carpet Cleaner Recipes
Storing Dry Goods
Storing Dry Goods
Saving Money on a Refrigerator, A new side by side refrigerator and freezer in stainless steel.
Saving Money on a Refrigerator
View of the water line.
Flushing a Refrigerator Water Line
🎉
🎄