What Should I Bring For My New Baby

My husband and I are having our first daughter within the next couple of weeks and we are close enough that we will be able to visit with my family for lunch then his for dinner and it'll be less than a mile home. My question is, what suggestions do you have as to what will be needed for her as well as for us? I am planning on breastfeeding so bottles won't be a problem.

Jeggie from Corydon, IN

Lots of diapers and wipes, more than you expect to need. A complete change of clothing in case of leaky or spit-up accidents. An extra shirt for you and hubby in case you get spit-up on.

Congratulations!! I have no hints or tips :)

It's been 23 yrs since I've had a baby in my house. I do know plenty of diapers and patience...

Good Luck and here's to a healthy daughter :)

Odd. Are you adopting? Most mothers are too tired to go visiting on the day of their baby's birth. New babies get their nutrition from breast or bottle feeding. Lots of diapers, maybe a change of clothing. New baby's sleep a lot. Maybe you have a portable crib.

check out www.clubmom.com----there is where all the advice is!!!!

Diapers/Wipes/play yard is nice/burp rags/The Boppy pillow is wonderful for nursing!!!

Congrats!

Don't buy any new born sizes unless you absolutely have to - she'll grow out of them in the blink of an eye.

Always travel with a box of diapers, bibs, spit up pads, hand wipes and plastic bags in the car and two changes of clothes. Yours and hers. Make sure they are appropriate for the season. I'd usually find that my kid's clothing was too small or from the preceeding season when it was needed.

We ended up using two diaper bags for the car. The big one with all the supplies and the small one for a quick single change to be carried in with us when we went somewhere.

And since you are nursing, a lot of extra water in the car for you!

But, make sure she gets a daily bottle of water, because she absolutely has to learn to accept a bottle in case you are delayed or on antibiotics. Besides, it will give your husband something useful and bonding to do.

I found that the most useful thing I ever carried with me when my son was a baby, was 2 face cloths. I moisten 1 & put a little soap on 1 & put a little 'soap free' cleanser so you can use it to wipe your baby's soft skin - & a dry 1cloth & a small rinsed plastic bottle of water - just enough to wipe up any 'throw ups' from your baby, need to dampen the extra cloth, or to wipe your own hands, or nipples before feeding, etc. I also carry one of those small soaps like the ones from motels, to freshen the cloth if rinsing it out to use again.

I still carry one of these 29 years later, whenever I am going for a journey that's a little longer than just the grocery store.

Cheers

Wendy

Good luck

Always use a car seat on each and every trip, no matter how close you are. Make sure it is installed properly (back seat in the middle is preferred). Keeping your baby safe as well as you buckling up everybody is your responsibility now. Remember it's always better to hear your baby cry being buckled up than to never hear them cry anymore.

I wanted to say that I must respectfully correct the info about giving water to a newborn. PLEASE DON'T! If you are in need of any breastfeeding advice please seek out a local LLL group leader. The LLL website is also a good resource. I've breast fed both my kids and have attended meetings, read on the net as well as books and there is NO reason to give the water. If you want your dh to bond w/ child at feeding once they are older you sure can pump and have him feed via bottle. Best of luck!

something for the baby to sleep in eg a moses basket on the FLOOR not a tabletop

Congratulations! The first thing to get is 2 portaplay pen. They close up like a long box or they can stay stationery at the family members house you visit the most. This is better than a basket type because they grow into it and you will spend less money. Also burp clothes are the best better than bibs . Bibs annoyed me because they would always get wet. Keep a set of everything essential in each house so you are not always lugging a million items or forget something. Also you should get some bottles so that you can get help from other family members and still fill it with your breast milk. There will come a time that you may need a break and the baby can be taken cared of by someone else. Hope this helps.

Parenting Baby AdviceNovember 6, 2006
Feeding a Baby
Weaning a Baby Off Breast Milk
young baby with puppy
Pets and The New Baby
Decorations and food on a table at a baby shower.
Baby Shower Ideas
People attending a baby shower.
Saving Money on a Baby Shower
🎄