Closet Smells Like Cat Litter

We just moved into a rental townhouse. I am pretty sure who ever lived there before us had a litter pan in the upstairs linen closet. It does NOT have a urine smell, but more like the actual kitty litter itself. I have tried several things to get this smell out -- washed the closet down, aired out the shelves in the sun, baking soda in the bottom -- I am at a loss now. Someone please help me, I have been in this place for 3 months and it makes my whole upstairs stink if I leave the door open, and my linens are still in a basket beside the closet. Ugh!

Monica from Ontario. Canada

Try spraying white vinegar on the carpeting, and close the door overnight. Next day, open to allow the vinegar to air out. I will likely remove at least some of the smell.

good luck!

Put some unused coffee grounds in some shallow dishes and put them in the closet and close the door. (If there is a good crack under the door, roll a towel and lay it there to decrease air circulation.) You could also sprinkle baking soda on the carpet and leave it there during the process. After a few days, take the coffee out, vacuum, and sniff. You can always put the coffee back for a few days.

If the coffee grounds don't do the trick you will probably have to seal all closet surfaces with some sort of paint. It 's possible that the "stink" has been absorbed by all the surfaces in the closet. It might even require a certain type of paint as I'm thinking latex wall paint probably won't do the job. Maybe someone else has information on this!

Editor's Note: Get some shellac or Kilz to seal the closet before painting it. That will seal off any smell that may have been absorbed.

Try charcoal briquets, (the ones for bbq).

Just put them in the closet and they will absorb the odor.

My cat wet in a basket I had on the livingroom wood floor, I did not find it for several days so it soaked into the floor. I washed it all good (even basket) with vinegar then poured fresh coffee grounds (right from the container) onto the floor, set the basket on top and sprinkled a few more coffee grounds into the basket, let it set about a week and the smell completely disappeared. The cat is 17 and the smell was bad.

I would use odor eliminator from Norwex. It is a great product. One bottle would provide you with many spray bottles worth and you can spray it on anything! It has a baby powder scent!

I am amazed at how great charcoal briquettes work for situations like this. Just make sure they are the plain ones without the firestarter added to it. Overnight the odor should be gone. Just put a small container or bowl inside your closet with some of the charcoal briguettes in it. Good luck!

The best way to rid of this smell is to use orange cleaner like tko works great

We have used a basin with towels soaked in rubbing alcohol under the beds in patients rooms to remove extremely strong odors. May be worth a shot.

Cat in Litter Box
Preventing Litter Box Odors
Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsJune 28, 2006
Reusing Cat Litter Buckets
Reusing Cat Litter Buckets
Cat in Litter Box
Cat Not Using the Litter Box
Cat exiting a litter box.
Cat Litter Mat Reviews
Cat Litter
Alternative Uses for Cat Litter
🎉
🎄