WaterConservation

Saving Water from the Sink for Plants

Here in North Carolina we have been experiencing drought conditions and are being encouraged to be mindful of wasting water. Since I have many plants which often need to be watered, I have tried to think of ways to be able to water the plants while conserving water. I have found that it takes quite a bit of water to run through the pipes before the water is hot enough to do dishes. Rather than waste that water as I'm waiting for the hot water to come through, I put my watering can in the sink and fill it up to use for my plants.

By Sandy from Elon, NC

A wonderful idea!.... I can remember as a child (I'm almost 72) my mama would carry her dishpan outside to water flowers and veggies after she washed the dishes. Not only does this conserve natural resources but it helps a lot on your water bill.

Great idea, I do that. You can also do the sane before taking a shower and keep your watering can in the shower with you. The same can be done when taking a bath and bathwater can be reused on plants.

This all saves on the water bill. I try to appreciate water and think about all the people in the world who still don't have running water.

Here in Australia we are in the midst of a very bad drought. I save water like this, but also from washing vegetables, this is good for your plants. We also recycle the water from our washing machine and have found that the detergent doesn't seem to cause the plants any harm. We have become too wasteful with water over the years.

After I wash my dishes, I rinse them in a washpan, then toss the rinse water into a 5 gallon bucket. I scoop out and add the dish water too. I use this water for my houseplants (out on the porch in the summer) or to water my vegetable garden. I also save the water from washing my hands, rinsing the dishrag out, washing fruit, etc, and add it to the bucket. The water saved from before the shower is used to flush the toilet. I figure that I've already paid for the water, so why not put it to good use rather than just let it run down the drain.

You mean after you have added dishwasher detergent to the water and cleaned you can still use this water to water the plants with? This is the first that I have heard of this and it wont hurt your plants. I will start doing this from now on. Didn't think of this before. If it will save on the water, it is worth it.