How Do I Make a Cover for My Metal Porch Swing?

I would like ideas on how to replace or remake the cover to the swing on my double metal porch swing set. It once had a plastic "webbing" type cover stitched to its frame, but this rotted away. I want to keep it simple and inexpensive.

By Kathy from IL

Go to Home Depot Or Lowe's or store where plastic outdoor blinds are sold. Drape over frame and secure. I have had mine on for over 3 years in all types of weather and it has held up well. I just hose it off when it needs cleaning and it was very inexpensive.

I've never purchased "outdoor" fabric like canvas etc. I do know it is and can be very expensive.

Here's what I would do:

Measure the set to see what I need i.e. how many yards of material and thread and zipper or buttons etc.

Watch for sales at all the fabric stores in my area including Walmart. Get a little at a time on sale/coupon as I can afford it.

When I've collected all the materials, begin sewing together a new cover that is removable by zipper or buttons so it can be washed when dirty and removed during the off season.

Thanks for the feedback. How would I secure the outdoor blinds? Thanks, Kathy

I have a three seat outdoor swing and I replaced my canopy with a full size fitted sheet. When one wears out or sun rots, I buy a new full size fitted sheet and replace it in what ever pattern or color I like.

Make Your Own MiscellaneousMay 9, 2010
Cleaning Metal
Cleaning Metal
Making a Rope Swing
Making a Rope Swing
Screened Porch
Winterizing a Screened Porch
Cleaning Rust off of Metal
Removing Rust from Metal