How do I overwinter Dogwood seedlings?

I started some dogwood seeds this past spring, and I now have 39 seedlings. Most of them have 5 or 6 sets of true leaves, and are approx. 6 - 7 inches tall. They are in 4" peat pots right now, and are situated to get morning sun with afternoon shade. With Fall quickly approaching, I wanted to find out now how to care for them during the cold Ohio winter.

Lisa from Rushville, OH

I hope you heel them in your garden before fall. That's what I intend to do with my Arbor Day seedlings that are now in pots. I think this is what they recommend. I believe they must be fully rooted before it gets cold.

I had not planned on putting them in the ground this year because the seedlings are only two months old right now. I would prefer to wait until they are at least a year old before planting them. I was hoping someone could tell me how to overwinter them while they remain in the pots this winter.

Hello Lisa! - I have lots of plants that I will be "healing in" for the winter (I do it every year). Useing my garden squares, I dig a trough, starting at a short end, and then set in my pots, push the souil up to and around them. Then dig your next trough and repeat until all your pots are snugly tucked in for the winter. Bonus - come time to remove the pots from the garden beds - there are way less weeds!! I also heal-in pots in my compost pile to keep warm for the winter!

Good luck and happy gardening!

Lavendeer from North Idaho

I suggest to put them inside of the house to keep them warm for the winter, good luck.

Home and Garden Gardening TransplantingJuly 26, 2008
Starting Seedlings
Starting Seedlings
Dogwood tree in spring.
Leaves Turning Brown on Dogwood Tree
aster seedlings
Keeping Seedlings From Dying
Growing a Red Osier Dogwood
Growing a Red Osier Dogwood
🎄
🍂