Bar of Soap Down the Toilet

My sweet autistic daughter put a bar of soap down the toilet. I tried getting it out but it went further back. Now every time we have to go to the bathroom we have to plunge the toilet because it gets real high. What do I use to dissolve this problem? I need ideas please.

Barbara from Shoemakersville, PA

I would think the more you flush, and move water past the bar of soap, the faster it will dissolve. I would flush the toilet each time I went by the bathroom. You might also ask your family to put their t. paper in the trash instead of in the hopper for a while, and that will minimize the solids trying to get by the soap.

If you have a plumber's snake, or have a friend who has one to loan, you might try either retrieving the bar with that, or breaking it up so it will dissolve faster.

Maybe vinegar would help it to dissolve faster or try boiling water poured down the toilet.

How about putting hot water down the toilet and see if that works?

Zig

P.S. Let us know the outcome. I'm sure there are other people that may have had the same problem and did not know what to do.

Aww. Poor love. I have two autistic children, ages 4 and 7. Life is NEVER dull with them. Call a plumber and ask. He might have some ideas, too. Then hug your little dear. I am sure she was trying to help 'clean' the bathroom. Just to ask, though... Have you thought of liquid soap? I bought a huge thing of it from Wal Mart for under 4.00. Then found a pretty pump for just a couple of dollars (although I am sure the dollar store also have pretty ones, too).

That was not quite a year ago, and we still have a little bit left. So, for about six dollars, we have a nice pump and soap that has lasted about a year. Pretty good investment.

Try hot water, then baking soda, followed by the vinegar. Then hot water again

I would put boiling water down the toilet. I agree to hug your daughter. Years ago my brother dropped his screwdriver down the toilet and we had to get a plumber. I never heard of another kid who refused to go anywhere without his screwdriver.

Just wanted to let you know we had to take the toilet off and since we are renting an old trailer the flooring is horrible. Love I tried the hot water and everything when honey finally got the soap out using a hose from the bottom of the toilet the soap never got any smaller. So please dear people if you have little kids or pets or anything.

Please do not keep the bars of soap near use liquid soap. I got rid of my last 2 bars. Plumber said they are buggers to get out. Talk to one on the phone. So we are not the only ones and makes we feel a bit better. Also to the mother of the 2 autistic kids you are right life is never dull and zoos are better calm and relaxing than our houses. Won't change it for the world just sometimes drives you crazy.

You might try purchasing a plumber's snake from the hardware. It will ream out the line.

Exactly dietvanilla! We had this problem at work as one of the alzheimer residents did the same thing! Toilet had to come off and to get soap out, the maintenance man had to use a hose to flush it out. It did not melt or even get soft. Strange, as when it is in our bathrooms, it seems it melts in the air!

Barb,

Sorry, I don't have a method for that either. I have a sweet 8 year old Autistic son and we are forever plunging the toilet. We use only liquid soap. We plunge because of toilet paper and diaper wipes..

Hug that sweetie :) Sarah in Washington

I was soaking my feet and accidentally pored the soapy water into the toilet with the bar of soap. I used about ten pot of boiling water and the plunger for about three days. I poured the boiling water in the toilet and put the lid down so the heat stayed longer. After doing this for three days the soap dissolved and now working great. This was a full bar of soap I had used for the first time. Good Luck

Turn off the water to the toilet.

Flush and plunge.

Pour boiling water down.

Let sit. four or five minutes.

Plunge again.

Do this maybe four or five times.. or until the boiling water goes down on it's own.

Turn the water back on and, once the tank is full, Flush again.

You might have to do this all several times, but it's better than the cost of a plumber.

Good Luck!

This procedure worked perfectly, thanks!

I wouldn't put boiling water in the toilet. The toilet is cold, and the hot water could cause your toilet to crack. It happened to me when my daughter was young, I had to replace the toilet. So, please think about putting hot water in the toilet.