Kitten With Discharge from One Eye

I have recently came across 2 male kittens approximately 8 weeks old. One has a little discharge and closure to the eye. He has no foul smell, nor does he seem to be sneezing or coughing. What can I do to help the kitten?

I am not working, so I do not have the money to take it to the vet. Can someone give me suggestions? I want to be able to take care of him. He is very sweet.

By Stormie0122 from New Kensington, PA

You can go to the vet office and ask for "baby kitten eye ointment" and they'll know what to give you. It doesn't take an appointment and the med. only costs about $5.00. The name of the med. is Teramycin. wipe the eyes from the inside out with a clean cloth and a clean cloth for each eye before applying med.

Sorry to say, but, its very important the kittens DO go to the vet. They need their shots or they can still get distemper and other diseases. Most puppies and kittens are born with worms too, so they will most likely need to be dewormed. I have never found any of the products at Walmart to work. If the kittens have fleas that needs to be treated right away too. Or it can lead to hemabartonella and kill them. The cheapest way to treat fleas is not to buy the tubes of flea medicine in the exact measurement you need but to buy the biggest tube and measure it out. A vet will give you a conversion chart. Call around and find a vet who will work with you on payment. Our vet allows us to pay with postdated checks and split the bill this way.

I forgot what age the kitten is, but if you have a zithromax tablet that is not old, then you can get that or order fish antibiotics animal supply magazines or at petsmart if they have it...

I had a pill of zithromax, a z pack and I cut it into sixteen pieces and gave it to them however much the following site tells to give it to them. You dose by weight. Antibiotics are the only thing that will help. Never throw good antibiotics away if you are going to have kittens. You have to find the right dose and cut the pill up and divide the total milligrams into halfs and fourths until you get the right mg piece and then crush it and feed it in a pill pocket..they love these most vets sell them.

Here is a great resource:

Of course vets are always the simpler and easier way to go but if you cant afford it this is the way. Robyn

I want to thank everyone who posted. Because of you my baby kitten I recently adopted is recovering. I read this post yesterday and used antibiotic ointment and flushed with warm water first. Worked so wonderfully. My little guy's name is Nacho. I can not believe how effective it is. Mahalo. Nui Loa

Treating a Kitten with Eye Discharge
Pets CatsJuly 28, 2009
One Month Old Kittens
Feeding a One Month Old Kitten
Flea Bath
Giving a Kitten a Flea Bath
Black and White Kitten
Adopting a Kitten
Girl with Pink Eye (Conjunctivitis)
Pink Eye (Conjunctivitis) Remedies