Keeping an Active Dog Happy

How would you keep a German Shepherd/Husky mix happy, as she is full of energy?

By Ashleigh from Alnwick, Northumberland

I know everyone is going to suggest walks. I would suggest play. This is something I'm starting with my dog. The book, "Playing With Your Dog", by Pat Miller is rated as an excellent book to show you things to play with your dog. I know it seems silly to have to teach your dog to play but you do have to. Kong chew toys filled with treats are excellent to occupy them for a while.

Yes I was going to suggest walks, and then play. Why not go for it all.

Hi Ashliegh!

I have had a lovely calm little poodle for ten years, and two years ago my husband found a pit bull puppy roaming around the streets of a very bad area. We know what they were going to use this puppy for, so we adopted him with the intention of adopting him out. Naturally a month later someone called to come look at him and we said we couldn't part with him. We fell in love with him however, my husband was out all day while I am an artist who works from home and our new boy was highly active.

To keep our little poodle out of the bedrooms we had baby gates up, but the pit could easily jump them. I started to take his toys as I cleaned house, and throw them into the other room where he had to jump over two different gates. Maybe you could put something up that is just high enough that your doggie can handle, and toss a toy over it for a little while. Our dog got so tired of jumping over the gates, that after 10 minutes, he just wanted to take a nap. And he's really a high energy dog. It works like a charm.

Good luck!

Patti

My dogs love to run through the woods with my husband riding his bike. And they love to swim in whatever body of water they can find. After running or swimming, all six dogs are ready for a nap!

Pets Dogs AdviceMay 20, 2010
Happy Man Using PC Laptop
Keeping Your PC Happy
Teens Playing Volleyball
Weekend Activities for Teens
Yeast for Baking
Buying and Using Yeast for Baking
agility training for your dog
Agility Training for Your Dog
🎄
🍂