Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Remedies for Swelling Around Eyes and Nose

What can be done for swelling around eyes and nose?

By Lynda (crabby) from Kearny, NJ

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Cyinda [214]06/01/2009

The absolute best thing is tea bags. Brew yourself a cup of regular tea (like Lipton) then save the used tea bags & keep them in a cup in the fridge. After they're cold you relax & lay back & put the tea bags on your swollen areas (eyes & nose). It's the tannic acid in the tea bags that reduces the swelling, & the cold helps shrink the blood vessels to also help. I read about this trick over & over in my daughters fashion magazines. The fashion models swear by it! Cold cucumber slices also work. As does preparation H (the hemorrhoid cream) It has to be the brand name, not the one sold at the dollar store. At least that's what the models are quoted saying they can't live without for puffy & swollen eyes!

By pam munro [447]06/01/2009

If the swelling is allergy or sensitivity-related, I have found that the best remedy is cold black tea compresses (or you can use the teabags themselves)- especially for the eyes. If it is a contact allergy (usually from your hands to your facial area), around your nose you can apply cortisone cream. Again, cold tea is good for eyes - but antihistamines taken internally will help for allergy eyes (I take generic Claritin, then Zyrtec & if all fails - go to Benadryl - which does make you drowsy.) I have also found that applying stye ointment inside your eyelids can ease irritation - also try allergy eye drops - & wash out your eyes with regular Murine or Simulsan allergy drops, which can be used often. If you work around irritants, wear glasses, even if you don't need them to SEE. (I wore clear ones when I used to demonstrate perfumes.)

I also apply petroleum jelly regularly to my eyelids to both lubricate & protect them & use eye cream beneath the eye. In the AM, a dab of witch hazel beneath your eye cream will help reduce swelling.

You have to be quite a detective when you get allergy irritation, identify the irritant & eliminate it, if at all possible & then, around the eye area proceed very gently & cautiously. (Oh, I have also used healthfood store calendula gel for irritations on my eyelids.)
You didn't state the origin of the swelling. Hope this helps.