Advice About Pyrenees/Bernese Mix

My husband and I are thinking about getting a Pyrenees/Bernese mix and we would like some feed back. We are mostly concerned about temperament and exercise needs. We have a Bernese/Golden, now 10 mos old and we would like her to have a playmate, but we need a dog who is going to be great with little kids and isn't going to escape without a daily walk. We usually do one every couple of days with Saylah.

Sally from Denver, CO

Realize that when you are buying a "designer" breed dog, you are simply buying a that you could probably find at a rescue or shelter should you take the time to do so and save a life.

I am the proud owner of two Great Pyrs. They are not easy dogs. They require a fenced yard, they bark and they require daily brushing. I would assume that rule would apply to any cross breed.

With any dog it's really important to remember that no dog is ever born "good with kids" but that the owner is responsible from day 1 to teach and train.

Children should not be exposed to two dogs who play will play and "be dogs" without adult supervision at all times.

If your first dog is well trained and develops a good relationship with your new dog you have a head start since puppies do learn from the resident dog.

If your first dog is not well trained it's time to get to dog class.

Only after your first dog does well and understands boundaries concerning children should you consider another dog you will then also have to train. Hope this helps.

BIG DOGS can hurt children by accident. It's your job as the parent to be sure the dogs do not share the same play space as children for best safety. BIG DOGS and children have been a 30 yr adventure for me with six children and St.Bernards, etc. I promise you that no dog can learn without being taught correctly.

Best to you,

My sister owned 2 of these great Pyrenees dogs. She had them both for 10 years until they each died of stomach cancer. Overall, they are very nice dogs with kids and their tempers aren't bad at all.

Good luck with them, if you would like more information...send me an email at bcdd4ofus AT and I will get you connected with my sister. She knows all about these dogs.

We have a 2 year old pyr/bernese mix female named Lexie. She is one our favorite dogs we have ever owned. She is about 120 pounds, but the gentlest dog with our 2 grandchildren who are 2 and 4 years old. She is one beautiful dog and people always ask us what breed she it. She is a great watch dog, also. She barks to let us know if someone or something is on our property, but then loves them to death. She is best friends with our ups guy. She even goes in the truck with him until he starts it up and then she gets down and he pets her on her way out. She just wants you love her and will do anything to please you. The only drawback is she is a digger. She is a whole lot better now and I think she has outgrown it now, but it drove my husband crazy for awhile! Anyway, we highly reccommend owning this mix if you are looking for a great watchdog who is a gentle giant.

Those are working dogs and they need "mucho" exercise. It would be a good idea to get a springer bicycle leash attachment and let them trot alongside on the bicycle. My German Shep loves to do that. Of course, she needed to be trained to stop at corners and not chase other dogs, etc. Or maybe you could get agility equipment for your backyard if you have enough room. If you have a jogger in your family, that's an excellent way to exercise your dog. They love to do things with their folks. To have a good dog - exercise, exercise, exercise, healthy food and fresh water. Good luck!

These dogs are not "mutts". We have a 5 month old pyrenees/bernes cross named Payton. He is the sweetest/smartest pup we have ever owned. He was easy to housebreak (two accidents, I think), very receptive to voice comands. He loves the water. He gets along/plays very well with my Blue Healers and Lab mix. He loves the cats. He is not the type of pup that runs to greet everyone, he sits there and waits for them to come to him. He does have grooming needs. I am very happy with our choice. We took several months in researching a new breed before we got another dog.

I own a Great Bernese (that's what this breed is called) He is the best dog i have ever had. He is great with all childern and was easy to house break. He does shed So i brush him every other day. And he loves to get outside and run, But when in the house he is layed back and doesnt ruff house. My childern love him and Honestly I think you would make a great choice owning one.

I also have a Great Bernese and she is wonderful:gentle, intelligent, and fairly laid back. Loves to play and has no idea how to be mean. A great choice. So much so, I'd like another. Contact me if you know of any-thanks.

Bernese Mountain Dog
Bernese Mountain Dog Breed Information and Photos
Pets Dogs AdviceJune 30, 2008
Chex Mix
Homemade Chex Mix Recipes
Bowl of salsa with ingredients in background.
Dry Salsa Mix Recipes
A bottle of homemade salad dressing.
Making Italian Salad Dressing Mix
Great Pyrenees
Great Pyrenees Breed Information and Photos