Caring for an Umbrella Tree

I saved two umbrella trees from a vacant store, but they seem a little droopy. Can anyone give me ideas to perk them up?

By Joyce from Pittsburgh, PA

Google has a ton of great information if you use "schefflera" as your keyword. I had that problem with my big one after I moved. I ended up cutting back a bunch of the stems/leaves that were just not going to make it. Make sure to let it dry out a bit between waterings, add a bit of fertilizer and put it in an area that it gets indirect sunlight.

A couple of the big stems that were cut back are seeing new growth and one of the cuttings I rooted has reached a stage where it doesn't need to be covered (to maintain moisture).

Umbrella Tree
Growing an Umbrella Tree (Magnolia tripetala)
Home and Garden Gardening TreesOctober 12, 2009
Patio Umbrella
Refurbishing a Faded Patio Umbrella
Avocados on a Tree
Caring for an Avocado Tree
Making a Christmas Tree Topper
Making a Christmas Tree Topper
Cardboard Christmas tree photo from an earlier Thriftyfun project.
Making a Cardboard Christmas Tree