Sunflowers Theme Decorations

I'm on the decorating committee for a woman's retreat and the theme is sunflowers. I need some smart and easy ideas for table decorations, and favors.

Octoberbabye from BRADENTON, FLORIDA USA

I don't know if you are trying to use a formal type setting or casual, but if you are using casual why not use tin cans or even watering cans with either real or silk sunflowers. We did this one year for our Women's Mnistry country theme at church and it worked out really well. We used gingham in yellows, greens, and reds for the tablecloths. We also used some cobalt blue bottles on some of the tables and they really stood out beautifully with the sunflowers.One of the ladies had some old fashioned pitchers that we used. As for favors, sunflowers can be hard to find, but alot of the dollar stores have tea towels, potholders, and kitchen "stuff" with sunflowers. You could also get small candle holders and glue silk sunflowers to them for place settings. Hope this helps!

Sunflower fabric shouldn't be too hard to find, for tablecloths. A church is a great place to find lots of pitchers.

Here's a link for paper sunflowers to make quickly -

They show applying the petals one by one, but why not make one big petal circle with pinking shears?

An idea came to me as I was reading about your situation. I thought of an old craft for children that may work for the occasion. Maybe have a circular or somewhat fluted or wavy bowl (round) and put some sunflower seeds in it. Or instead of sunflower seeds you can have water and some tops of fake (or real) sunflowers floating in it. You can put a small votive container with a candle in it in the the middle (depending on how much water you have in the bowls). Make petals around it maybe out of pipe cleaners and construction paper or cloth. You may want to attach it. Or have small round mirrors in the middle with candles (especially an evening event, but daylight would work too). Attach petals (cloth or paper or construction paper or poster board). For cloth, you may want to use fabric glue or something to that effect. You may want to try hot glue but the mirror may be too heavy. Anyway, I hope this helps.

(Sorry, I did not see the favors part) For favors, maybe make (fake or real) sunflower pins for your guests as they enter or at their place settings. I agree with Gertrude1. Probably some sunflower items, maybe pitchers or teapots, or cup and saucer with a candle in it wrapped pretty in cellophane or plaques with sayings for the home. Have a drawing or raffle and these can be prizes. I hope these are helpful.

Here's a great party favor idea for a pen holder. Take a ballpoint pen and top it with a small silk sunflower using green floral tape. Try to find inexpensive sunflower bushes in a craft or dollar store. There are usually 8 or 10 sunflowers on each bush. Fill an inexpensive clay pot with colored rocks or large glass beads that you would use as vase filler. Insert 3 sunflower pens in each clay pot. Decorate the pot with ribbon if you like.

for centerpieces

* sunflower seeds

* yellow feathers

* poster board

* dirt

* green pipecleaners

* inexpensiove pots

Take the poster board and cut a cmall circle, then glue sunflower seeds to the circle all over it until covered, flip it over and glue yellow feathers all around the edges(like a sun flower) then glue the green pipecleaner to the bottom of the back so it looks like a sun flower(use two if need more taller. Take the pot and glue to bottom of the pipecleaner to the bottom of the pot then fill with as much dirt as you like(dirt can be substituted if you want with something else brown.

I think its a great idea please email me if you use it.

Hope I helped!

Holidays and Parties Parties DecorationsSeptember 18, 2007
Ants Eating Sunflowers
Growing Sunflowers
Growing Sunflowers
Growing Sunflowers in Containers
Growing Sunflowers in Containers
A woman transplanting a sunflower.
Transplanting Sunflowers