Centerpiece Ideas for School Fund Raiser Dinner

Our school is having a spaghetti night dinner to raise funds for our 5th grade end of year activities. We will be using red and white check table cloths. I am in charge of the centerpieces and they will be raffled off at the end of the night. We cannot use wine/liquor bottles or candles. Any suggestions?

By calliemom from San Francisco, CA

I saw an idea (on here, I think) where someone suggested saving tomato cans (for the cute labels) and arranging flowers in them. You could put a piece of oasis in each can, and then add some silk flowers. Should be relatively inexpensive and colorful.

If you have a little bit to spend, you could make "dinner baskets" with a jar of sauce, a package of spaghetti, a box of the long, thin bread sticks, maybe a small shaker jar of Parmesan cheese or the like. You could use baskets, flowerpots, or the large cans used in food service - with a label you make on the computer. You could insert a silk flower or two to brighten it up.

Alternatively, I made centerpieces for our church youth for their February brunches by sponge painting flower pots with red/white or pink/white, then made tissue paper flowers to fill them. I added a heart to each that I made with the wire trim with mylar hearts on it (meant to circle wreaths or doors). They're still using them, many years later.

Green houseplants are inexpensive esp if you buy them from a home center. Make or buy red pot covers or add a 3rd accent color. You could also attach some red and /or white silk flowers to wires and stick a few into the pots.

I have heard of putting shredded paper or crinkly paper in clear soda bottles with a slit on the side of the bottle. Put wrapped chocolates or other items in with the paper & add a bit of wrapping paper to cover the slit.

If you have a budget, the local Dollar Trees have fake food. You can get a loaf of french bread, some grapes and make them into bowls for the center pieces.

Hope that helps.

PBP

I put together some photos of benefit auction centerpieces and have some advice here: www.squidoo.com/fundraising-auction-centerpieces You should find a couple of pieces to give you inspiration. Good luck with your dinner.