10 Year Old Wets the Bed

My 10 year old daughter has wet the bed for years. Nothing is medically wrong. I have found this is common, so she wears Goodnights to bed, but in the AM she'll lay in bed, wide awake and wet her pull-up until it runs out onto the bed. I ask her "why", she says she doesn't know why. I have, in the past, been very patient and understanding, but today I lost it. I made her wear the nasty wet pull-up around the house for punishment. What is up with this? Is it a fetish? Is she mentally ill? I have lost my mind. I told her if she does it again she will have to wear it to school and I will tell all her friends. The parent in me knows this is not the right approach, but I am at the end of the road here. What else is there to try?

Nina from Las Vegas

I wet the bed until I was twelve, and my older sister until she was almost sixteen. My three younger sisters wet the bed up until around age ten; my brother until about age six. Both of our parents were late bedwetters as well.

All of us were healthy, and the cause for the bedwetting was never determined. My mother did not shame us, though sometimes we could see and feel her frustration and despair (it was a LOT of bedwetters wetting at the same time--for years!)

How is your daughter doing now? It is five years since you have posted about her problem. I hope you made amends with her. Mothers can do so much permanent damage to their children and to their relationship with them if they don't have the important things in mature perceptive.

My 9 year old has been wetting the bed the last couple years off and on. He is healthy and happy and there's no rhyme or reason to it. I never shame him, he feels bad enough about it himself! I put an old shower curtain under his bedding to protect his mattress and do a lot of laundry. Just part and parcel of being a mom!

Best wishes to you and know you are not alone and she will outgrow it eventually.

Bed with wet area and teddy bear
Bed Wetting Tips and Advice
Parenting Grade Schooler AdviceSeptember 4, 2006
Bedspring Santa
Making a Bed Spring Santa
A garden bed made from an old blue bed.
Make a Garden "Bed" Out of an Old Bed Frame
Iron Framed Bed
Fixing a Squeaky Bed
package with a featherbed topper
Using A Featherbed Topper