Pie CrustPies

Homemade Pie Crust

Category Pie Crust

This pie crust is no-fail from my Grandmother, Anna Maude

• 1 part flour
  • 1/2 part shortening
  • 1/4 part water

• Salt (optional)

Directions:

For one 8 inch pie crust, I use 1 cup flour, 1/2 cup shortening, 1/4 cup water and a pinch of salt, if you like. I don't use the salt.

Cut shortening into flour until it looks rice-sized. Add salt if using and water a little at a time until you have the right consistency for rolling out the crust.

Roll on a floured surface until 1/8 - 1/4 inch thick

You can bake in a hot oven until slightly brown for soft pies or fill and bake according to your pie filling recipe.

By Patricia H. from Colorado Springs, CO

I recently attended a potluck church dinner where I selected a piece of pie for my dessert. The crust was wonderful. It was a two crust pie, but I am not sure if it was rolled out or just a patted out crust.

The difference in this crust from the others I have eaten or made is the crust itself had a slightly sweet taste to it. Nothing overwhelming but it had an exceptional flavor to it. I would like to try to find a recipe for this crust whether it be rolled out or pressed. Thanks to everyone.

By lostinthe from Mid-Missouri

Answers:

Homemade Pie Crust

Try to find out who made the pie for the potluck dinner you attended and ask them for the crust recipe. (08/25/2009)

By OliveOyl

Homemade Pie Crust

Mu guess is that it had some powdered sugar in it. This is a crust recipe that has that in it. The crust is part of a rhubarb dessert recipe and everyone loves it. It is a press in kind.

• 1 cup sifted flour
  • 5 Tbsp. powdered sugar
  • 1/2 cup margarine (08/26/2009)

By Laniegirl

Homemade Pie Crust

I did inquire has to who they thought had made it, but the dinner was following a funeral and a lot of dishes were just dropped off by the ladies of the church. There are a few ladies trying to find out who brought that particular pie. (08/26/2009)

By lostinthe