Ground Cover Inside Dog Run

I have a German Shepherd who is an outside only dog. He injured his knee and I was told by a vet to keep him locked up to where he can't run. I made a 9 x 30 enclosed dog run to keep him in. I was wondering what kind of ground cover I could use?

I had shredded bark and shortly noticed it getting stuck between his toes so I took it out. I had the cedar bark and then noticed that when we urinated it would soak in and I had to replace it which ended in being too costly. I was going to put pea gravel but am afraid it would start to wear on his pads of his feet over time. Any suggestions? I am all out and don't know what else other than grass I can put in there.

April from Riverside, CA

a friend of mine has shepherds and shelties and uses saw dust.Maybe you can get a load from a local saw mill.It's usually cheap and easy to scoop the urine from.Hope it works and hope your dog heals quickly.

You can usually get free carpet remnants from carpet dealers. When it gets soiled, just replace it with more scraps of carpet.

Crushed limestone will do the trick. It will 'pack' down over time and it is so small that it doesn't cut or iritate the feet. I have 5 dogs (yes, I'm crazy) and they all seem to love it.

Best thing is pine shavings, like you buy for horse stalls, (not sawdust, too fine). Take a board or blocks and put around the inside of the kennel to keep the shavings inside, fill almost to top of the board. All liquids go into the ground and all firm matter is easily scooped up with a shovel or better yet, the fireplace metal scoops (what I always use when camping etc). The kennel will stay a lot cleaner and longer! This is what I used in a stall and so easy to keep clean, even in the cold winter months.

It's never a great idea to keep a dog outside only, especially if your in a populated area. The dog is stressed, lonely and very, very bored. It also tells any prowlers that your home is unprotected because the dog is trapped outside.

With proper basic training ANY dog can be a loving home pet. If this is something you don't want to provide for him; you should find him a home where they are willing to give him the care and attention he needs to have a decent quality of life. Currently, he has to be completely isolated and alone at least 16+ hours a day. Mind you I never recommend getting rid of a pet but in your case it would be of the utmost benefit for your dog to have a better home.

If you wouldn't do it with your 2 year old child; you should do it to your dog.

I use half synthetic lawn (to keep the cost down) and half stepping stones placed together like a patio but ever so slightly angled for run-off. synthetic lawn means no bugs and it has holes at bottom so if it rains or when you hose it, there is good drainage and you can spray enzymatic solution on entire area which also helps with any odor, etc.

Not letting your dog run because of an injured knee is not a solution. Fix the knee. That's like you hurting your leg and being confined to your bedroom. The dog will be miserable.

Pets Dogs AdviceOctober 8, 2008
Closeup of blue flowering creeping charlie.
Getting Rid of Ground Ivy (Creeping Charlie)
A hole in a pair of pantyhose.
Fixing a Run in Your Stockings
Closeup of hen and chicks.
Choosing the Right Groundcover
Dog Crate
Making a Dog Crate Cover