How to Look After a Chile Plant

How do I look after a potted chile plant? If any one has any ideas I'd be most grateful. It has little white flowers but the chiles that were growing have all shrivelled up! It is the only plant in my flat, and deserves a good life! Many thanks in advance!

Julie (near London)

Best Answer

Make sure the pot is large enough - supermarkets usually force plants to look saleable, but they're usually set in small pots and very dry. Chillies need a lot of water, especially when they're fruiting, and at this time also feed with a good liquid tomato feed.

If you're growing your own from seed, pinch out to make sure the plants don't become too leggy, otherwise you'll need to support them.

Best Answer

Keep it in a very bright window or give it direct sunlight if the weather is above 50°. Water only when the soil is dry to the touch of your finger. Don't worry about the chili fruits, it is natural for them to dry up. The fact that your plant is blooming means it is happy and wants to make more chilies! Congratulations!

Warmest Wishes,

Denise McCall

Best Answer

Good advice from English Guest--this is just an added thought. I have a 6 yr old chile plant that I bring inside in the winter, and once the peppers turn red, they do shrivel up and fall off after awhile. This may be part of what is happening with Julie's plant. It is quite normal for mine to have the peppers in all stages, from white flowers, green peppers, red peppers, to the ones falling on the floor. But, as English guest says, the plant dries out very fast. If this is happening, the leaves will be noticibly wilted also.

I have chilli plants too & mine are going mad! Once the chillis have shrivelled up - simply remove them from the stem & then you can start all over again. Open up the dried chillis & pop the seeds in some multi purpose compost & the seeds will start growing again withn a few weeks.

I actually think that they prefer lots of light & plent of water (but not water logged) especially when flowering.

My chile plant has a green chile on it but it has lots of cobweb looking things all over it and some really really tiny bug things too! help - any bright ideas anyone? would greatly appreciate advice.

Editor's Note: It sounds like spider mites. They have really sticky webs and are very tiny. If you think this is it, take some q-tips and clean the affected places with rubbing alcohol.