Keeping Larder Beetles Out of the House

I just had a pest control specialist come in. I moved into my new home about 3 weeks ago and since that time I have found at least 100 larder beetles. They were mostly in with my towels and dishcloths.

I have vacuumed and cleaned it all out and they are back. I washed all the towels and dishcloths (there were larvae in the towels). I am really grossed out, especially since I am not a dirty person. Is there any preventative measures that I can take to keep them away other than cleaning? Thanks!

By Meryl from Nova Scotia

That is very common to see that there are a lot of them since they are natures clean up crew! Here is a link that offers advice on how to get rid of them once you see they have multiplied. They are very interesting to read about.

I had never heard of larder beetles before, so I went on the web. It looks like you might have quite a problem on your hands. The first link gives some info. on how to get rid of them, and the second link has other tips. Good luck.

I don't know what larder beetles are, but when we moved in here, I was inundated with carpet beetles and their larvae. After cleaning and vacuuming, I got a large box of cedar scented moth balls and put them in all my linen cupboards and drawers, and stuffed them down inside my furniture! Seems to have gotten rid of them, and they smell good. Good luck.

Home and Garden Pest Control BeetlesApril 15, 2009
Getting Rid of Beetles in Your House
Japanese beetle eating a leaf.
Getting Rid of Japanese Beetles
Asian Beetles
Getting Rid of Asian Beetles