Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Cleaning Glass Cooktops

How do you clean glass cooktops, like burnt on food, black stains, and water spots?

Heather from Pahrump, NV

By

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By poida01/02/2010

Baking soda, baking soda, baking soda! it simply is the best, least expensive, and works unbelievably well. DO NOT waste time, energy and money on anything else

just make a little pile where the stains are, get small dishcloth and dab the end with water, apply wet part of cloth to baking soda pile and rub over stain .....a white paste forms and voila, stain are gone

By anne12/30/2009

Bar Keepers Friend is absolutely the best! I had some bad stains and burns on my black glass top, and after trying all the fancy products saw a post recommending it. I bought the Bar Keepers Friend at Bath and Beyond-use the liquid kind as the powder might make additional scratches, and use only non scratch pad. It does require some scrubbing, but the stovetop looks like new!

By Susan S. (Guest Post)01/10/2009

If I use the razor blade to clean off burnt grease on the round silver markings of the cook top burners, will it ruin the silver markings. I have a Kitchenaid Black glass cook top.

By (Guest Post)11/20/2008

My glass cooktop has become sort of greyish on top of the burners. How can I get it back to the pretty white it was before?

By Secretia (Guest Post)06/19/2008

I put a small copper-bottomed pot of water on to boil and forgot about it. The copper bottom was blackened (mostly flaked off when cool) and the stove top was left with a grayish impression of where the pan had been. It has mostly come off with Bon Ami and plenty of elbow grease, but a remnant remains. Have any of you ever done this and if so, what worked for you? I will try all the suggestions here, but until then, I wonder if any of you have specific experience with this type of residue. (It seems welded on...)

By Cajun [55]03/16/2008

Apply a light dusting of Whiting*, and rub with a soft, damp, cotton cloth. Whiting is a very fine polishing powder that will not scratch glass...this is the same 'white residue powder' that lingers after you've waxed your automobile...
*Whiting is available in the Paint Dept. of a good Hardware store (generally used for thickening paints, etc. A 3-5# container will last almost forever :)

By aNnE (Guest Post)01/11/2008

The razor blade was amazing and the soda + vinegar (or lemon juice) works miracles on even the oven floor! It's a great degreaser too! I am so glad I tried it. I think I will now pickle my entire house!

By Tammy (Guest Post)08/04/2007

Just want to add to Sara's post regarding baking powder.
1. check the bottom of your pans for cooked on grease.

2. follow the same in Sara's post for the cooktop.

3. Really stubborn, just add a little of normal distilled white vinegar, it causes a reaction to help the baking soda work.

4. wipe off with water and dry, to polish use the vinegar again and dry with a lint free cloth.

By Janelle (Guest Post)03/24/2007

I've tried the cooktop cleaners they recommend specifically for glass cooktops and they just don't work and are a mess to work with. I purchased Liquid Barkeepers Friend and OH MY GOSH! This stuff works like magic! And you don't even have to put all the muscle into it like you do with the cooktop cleaners. Just put some on a paper towel and rub it on the soiled area and it's gone. I would recommend it to ANYONE!

By (Guest Post)03/17/2007

I WOULD NOT, repeat, WOULD NOT use the eraser on your cooktop...do you have the booklet,? follow those instructions...use only paper towels, ceramic stove top cleaner and a razor blade for stuck ons!! Do not use any other type of cleaner, or handi wipes or dish cloths. My god son used anything on his and it is a mess..plus it will ruin the conductiveness of the cook top

By sara (Guest Post)03/16/2007

Simple an OH! so cheap: Make a dry paste of baking soda by pouring the dry powder in a little pile onto the glass and taking a damp cloth to it. Dip and scrub. If the stains are stubborn, make your paste just a LITTLE wetter with a drop of water and let soak for a few minutes. then dip and scrub.
Won't scratch the glass and nothing is cheaper or more effective.

By Deanj03/16/2007

You can use a razor blade carefully to remove the build up of food.Go to Home Depot or Loews and buy a liquid product made to clean glass stove tops.It is call Cerama Bryte or call 1-800-578-home to find where it buy it.

By Laura [2]03/15/2007

I like to use Bar Keepers Friend for my glass cooktop. You can find it at the dollar store or maybe where you buy comet or ajax etc. It is safe for glass tops.

By Robin DeRoo [3]03/15/2007

pick up the cleaner designed for ceramic tops, usually from where the stove came from though I am sure others are available. This is great for basic spills and burnt foods. I also use a razor blade scraper (the old blade used for shaving). Pick one up from a hardware store. Apply the cleaner with a paper towel getting as much as you can then use the scraper. Don't worry you won't scrathch the top. Follow up with the cleaner with a paper towel. No water required at all.

By Robin (Guest Post)03/15/2007

I pick up the cleaner designed for ceramic tops, usually from where the stove came from though I am sure others are available. This is great for basic spills and burnt foods. I also use a razor blade scraper (the old blade used for shaving). Pick one up from a hardware store. Apply the cleaner with a paper towel getting as much as you can then use the scraper. Don't worry you won't scrathch the top. Follow up with the cleaner with a paper towel. No water required at all.

By (Guest Post)03/15/2007

Try Mr Clean Magic Eraser and any cleaner made for glasstops. I use Weiman, you will find it in the cleaning isle next to the oven cleaners and cream cleaners like soft scrub. It is kind of expensive but worth it. It protects as it cleans and it also gets easier to clean the more you use the same product. DONOT use soft scrub, it is abrasive and will scratch the surface.