Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

I have a couple of budgies that squawk all day and night, for no reason. I feed them and water them daily. It sounds like they are angry when they squawk. Sometimes they just chirp. I would like some advice on how to get them to quiet down.

If that doesn't work I'm considering getting rid of them and replacing them with fish, which are much quieter.

By Kevin from Ontario, Canada

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By PamelaRainsong05/25/2011

If you do get rid of them (as you put it) try to find a loving, knowledgable person who has patience and can spend years with the budgies. Many birds can live a long, long time. Can you return them? It's scary to think what could happen to them. At the pet store, weren't they squawking?

I don't mean to sound mean or like a know-it-all... but it's what they normally do. I think the squawking is worse if they're bored, angry, frightened, or have a need that is not being attended to. Change out their toys. Birds are smart, and they need company and stimulation. Let them out! Just be careful of ceiling fans, stoves, toilet bowls, etc. Birds get bored. Fish are quiet but their environments are high maintenance. Be sure to do your research when deciding what kind of animal is best for you.

I read books and do research before buying any pet. You need to know about the animal's lifespan, needs, natural behaviors and tenancies. Many birds are noisy. Also, some birds need more interaction than others. They live a long time, so be sure you can devote time and provide love and a healthy environment for as long as he/she can live... otherwise you shouldn't buy it.

I think it's sad that people don't do their research before buying animals. They tend to buy pets on a whim because they're soooo cute and don't realize that it has needs and can live a long time.

By Anonymous [848]05/28/2010

I am not trying to be mean but since you made the comment that maybe you should get rid of them and replace them with quiet fish, well, maybe you should! I am sure there are lots of people out there who would love to give the budgies a good home and then all you'll have to worry about is feeding and cleaning up after fish that don't need interaction.

By Tapestry Lady [2]05/26/2010

We have budgies, and as much as we love them they can absolutely drive you crazy! They aren't melodious, for sure. Unless they're actually fighting they're probably not angry though; it's just their sound. Budgies aren't programed to be quiet, and they associate silence with nearby danger.

One tip I was given was to make sure they stay as occupied as possible. Budgies are like kids. Give them a variety of toys, and rotate them every week or so for a change. Also try moving their perches and food dishes around, or relocating their cage in the house. If you can, let them out for awhile to stretch their wings. (just make sure they can't fly into windows or other dangerous places) I also agree with the poster who said to interact with them; they often seem quieter after we've had a little chat!

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Noisy Budgies

How do you keep two Budgies (male and female) from screeching their heads off all the time?

By Jovin from Niagara Falls, ON

RE: Noisy Budgies

Good luck on this one. Wish I could help. I had 2 parakeets once and wound up having to get rid of them. Even after I got rid of the first one, the second one screeched even worse, I think because he was looking for his partner.

I did find some birds tho that are actually a joy to listen to, Zebra finches. They are birds that you should have at least 2 of, but you need to be careful though and get both of one sex or you'll soon be over run with birds. I got a male and a female and within a few months I had 7 birds (they hatched 5 eggs). But the sound they make when they are chattering is so soothing. I thoroughly enjoyed my birds. I'm trying to send a photo of a pair (trying that is!), but the female is the one without the big orange cheeks. In case the photo doesn't come through, check out http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Valley/7134/normal.html and click on Normal. They are really adorable little birds. (07/20/2009)

By Cricketnc

RE: Noisy Budgies

Birds are noisy and messy. You can cover them up as already suggested, but keeping them in the dark is not healthy. If they are that bothersome to you I suggest selling or giving them away.

Sorry to disagree, but not all pet stores keep them behind glass because of the noise. They are kept behind glass because they are small and easy to steal, as are other small birds, and also to contain all the mess they create. As a breeder I have worked with many many pet stores and I even owned one before a large pet store chain opened up nearby. (07/21/2009)

By WhitesAttic

RE: Noisy Budgies

If you are interested in a pet that doesn't make much noise, may I suggest fish, not birds. Budgies are flock creatures and their "screeching" is their way of keeping in communication with and socializing with their flock. That includes anyone in the house. They love to sing, talk, and interact with others. If they are loud, it is to try and get your attention. If you are interested in keeping them, interact with them more and see if that doesn't help calm them down. There are many websites that give wonderful information and advice on the care and behavior of budgies. Use Google and check them out, please. And good luck with your feathered friends! (07/21/2009)

By chriself

RE: Noisy Budgies

I so agree with Cricketnc about Zebra Finches. I had a pair once named Romeo and Juliet and they were such a joy to listen to with their sweet voices! And I always got a kick out of their greeting me in the morning when removing their night blanket and every time the phone rang. I guess I lucked out because they were indeed male and female, but he never fertilized her eggs. Guess he was impotent.

Maybe a pet store will make a trade with you so you can have more suitable and soothing feathered friends. (07/21/2009)

By Deeli

RE: Noisy Budgies

I have a parrot and my best friend breeds birds. What I would do is separate them, first. Put them in different rooms and then interact with each as often as you can. Then when they scream you just ignore them, turn your back on them and only interact when they are quiet. Birds are smarter than most people think. It's how I get mine to not do things I hate. (07/21/2009)

By c t