BirdsPets

Noisy Budgies

I have a couple of budgies that squawk all day and night, for no reason. I feed them and water them daily. It sounds like they are angry when they squawk. Sometimes they just chirp. I would like some advice on how to get them to quiet down.

If that doesn't work I'm considering getting rid of them and replacing them with fish, which are much quieter.

By Kevin from Ontario, Canada

We have budgies, and as much as we love them they can absolutely drive you crazy! They aren't melodious, for sure. Unless they're actually fighting they're probably not angry though; it's just their sound. Budgies aren't programed to be quiet, and they associate silence with nearby danger.

One tip I was given was to make sure they stay as occupied as possible. Budgies are like kids. Give them a variety of toys, and rotate them every week or so for a change. Also try moving their perches and food dishes around, or relocating their cage in the house. If you can, let them out for awhile to stretch their wings. (just make sure they can't fly into windows or other dangerous places) I also agree with the poster who said to interact with them; they often seem quieter after we've had a little chat!

Anonymous

I am not trying to be mean but since you made the comment that maybe you should get rid of them and replace them with quiet fish, well, maybe you should! I am sure there are lots of people out there who would love to give the budgies a good home and then all you'll have to worry about is feeding and cleaning up after fish that don't need interaction.

If you do get rid of them (as you put it) try to find a loving, knowledgable person who has patience and can spend years with the budgies. Many birds can live a long, long time. Can you return them? It's scary to think what could happen to them. At the pet store, weren't they squawking?

I don't mean to sound mean or like a know-it-all... but it's what they normally do. I think the squawking is worse if they're bored, angry, frightened, or have a need that is not being attended to. Change out their toys. Birds are smart, and they need company and stimulation. Let them out! Just be careful of ceiling fans, stoves, toilet bowls, etc. Birds get bored. Fish are quiet but their environments are high maintenance. Be sure to do your research when deciding what kind of animal is best for you.

I read books and do research before buying any pet. You need to know about the animal's lifespan, needs, natural behaviors and tenancies. Many birds are noisy. Also, some birds need more interaction than others. They live a long time, so be sure you can devote time and provide love and a healthy environment for as long as he/she can live... otherwise you shouldn't buy it.

I think it's sad that people don't do their research before buying animals. They tend to buy pets on a whim because they're soooo cute and don't realize that it has needs and can live a long time.