Growing Spearmint from a Cutting

Can you "root" in water or grow a cutting from a spearmint plant? Has anyone done this, or do you have any information? The research I've done so far hasn't turned up with any real results. Thank you.

By LaLa from North Augusta, SC

Sure, mint of any kind is very easy to start. Stick a sprig with several leaves in water. Pinch off a couple of the bottom leaves. The roots grow at the nodes. Plant in yard or garden when a bunch of roots appear.

Thank you very much!

John is right, many things will root in water. I am really into gardening and I have an old aquarium outside with six packs filled with perlite for rooting plants. I cover the top with glass, leaving it slightly ajar. I mist the cuttings every day and keep the perlite damp. I have good luck rooting a lot of things this way.

You will have no trouble rooting spearmint either in water or directly in soil. I had a 100 year old house with spearmint growing through the foundation into the cellar. It was white wherever it grew without sunlight! (no chlorophyl). Once you have it rooted, be sure to plant it (or any mint) in a pot. If you put it in the ground it will take over. Enjoy.

You might have to limit yourself to certain seasons when you try to grow cuttings. Just a suggestion.

I understand mint is invasive, so it should be placed in a pot in the garden from whence it can't escape through a drainage hole in the bottom.

Where I live, mint is an annual, so the 'escape and take over' factor isn't a problem.

I agree with the others, mint is very easy to grow. I have it in my flower beds all around the house. It smells very nice when you walk by it. Just cut a limb off, stick it in the ground, keep damp till you see it growing. I also like to make mint tea. Good luck.

Spearmint growing in a container.
Growing Spearmint
Home and Garden Gardening CuttingsDecember 1, 2008
Cleaning Plastic Cutting Boards
Cleaning Plastic Cutting Boards
fabric scissors
Cutting Fabric Strips
Growing a Plum Tree from a Cutting
Growing a Plum Tree from a Cutting
Photo fo a spearmint plant.
Uses for Spearmint
🎉
🎄