Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Tickling Sensation Inside Ear

I have had a strange sensation in my left ear for 10 weeks. It is in the outer part of my ear and feels like a hair is in there at times and also a weird sensation. My GP prescribed some drops and said it was quite dry inside my ear. It could be eczema but it doesn't bother me inside my ear.

The drops did nothing for it and on my second visit she gave me Hydrocortisone cream, which also hasn't helped. This is driving me crazy. How can something in the inner part of your ear cause this feeling on the outer part of the ear (I mean the curly part)? Has anyone else had this happen or can anyone offer an explanation. My ear is not red or sore, just a sort of tickle sensation.

Margaret from UK

By

By donnaa07/20/2012

I have the same thing at the outer ear opening 11 to 12 o'clock area. NOT in the ear but at the opening. It happens when I am at rest. It is irritating, like tingling or something crawling under the skin. It creeps me out! Im glad Im not the only one!

By kewl198505/07/2012

Hey guys, did any of you get this diagnosed? I've been having the same sensation on the outer portion of my earlobe - the tickle sensation. It's annoying me.

By vicardibly08/18/2011

Its funny because I suffer from this too, but I haven't put two and two together. It only happens when I'm driving. When I'm chewing gum, it doesn't happen. So that's the answer.

By margaret [1]06/08/2011

The tickle sensation has now gone although it did take almost one year, without any treatment i just felt it getting less intense, and hey presto one day it was gone. Hurry!

Here are questions related to Tickling Sensation Inside Ear.

Question: Tickling in Ear

I have a tickling inside my ear. I've had it for 2 days now. It's really uncomfortable. Does anyone know what it is or how to get rid of it?

By XxsophiexX

Most Recent Answer

By Dorothy07/16/2012

I heat a few drops of baby oil and let it cool a little and drop into my ears. Works for me.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Tickling Sensation Inside Ear

I have had a strange sensation in my left ear for 10 weeks. It is in the outer part of my ear and feels like a hair is in there at times and also a weird sensation. My GP prescribed some drops and said it was quite dry inside my ear. It could be eczema, but it doesn't bother me inside my ear.

The drops did nothing for it and on my second visit she gave me hydrocortisone cream, which also hasn't helped. This is driving me crazy. How can something in the inner part of your ear cause this feeling on the outer part of the ear (I mean the curly part)? Has anyone else had this happen or can anyone offer an explanation. My ear is not red or sore, just a sort of tickle sensation.

Margaret from UK

RE: Tickling Sensation Inside Ear

OK, I refuse to feel weird about saying this one! Is it an invisi-hair? One of those ultra pale, ultra thin hairs people sprout in weird places. LOL Mine was on my hand and I swear I lived with a ghost for a two week period, cause it felt like someone touching the back of my hand. I also produced one close to the side of my nose, and it took me a month to see it. Sit in the sunshine and use a good magnifier mirror, or a good friends younger eyesight. (12/03/2008)

By Dedeswrkshop

RE: Tickling Sensation Inside Ear

Possibly it's your sinuses being aggravated. (12/04/2008)

By cookwie

RE: Tickling Sensation Inside Ear

First off, you're not crazy and you're not the only one experiencing this "deep ear itch." I have the same problem. Like you, I got prescribed the ear drops and cortisone. The ear drops seemed to help for a little while, but when they ran out, I was back at square one. The cortisone was just too messy - yuck! Who wants a glob of goop in their ear?

I'm already visually impaired, so I don't want to endanger my hearing by digging deep enough to scratch where it "really" itches. My solution might not help you, but maybe you'll find it worth a try. If you use dandruff shampoo, try this the next time you wash your hair: get your hair soapy with the dandruff shampoo and then rub it into your ears, too. When you rinse, be sure to let the water run into your ears. Even if the itch is on the shell of your ear, this could help. I hope it does. (12/05/2008)

By JustPlainJo

RE: Tickling Sensation Inside Ear

My son had a small 1/2 inch hair in his ear from a hair cut. He complained for weeks about this, a strange noise and a tickling. The Dr. suggested flushing the ear out with water in a needleless syringe and after several squirts out came a tiny hair. The feeling is gone. (12/20/2008)

By Susan

RE: Tickling Sensation Inside Ear

I've had the tickling for a few months. I just started looking online for information. On one site someone suggested that she gets relief by pushing her tongue on the roof of her mouth just behind her front teeth. I tried it and it works! (12/27/2008)

By Cyndi

RE: Tickling Sensation Inside Ear

I have had this annoying sensation a few times these past 2 years, lasting weeks, sometimes months, with each episode. It can drive you nuts. I was "tickle-free" for months recently and then last week it started again. The night before, I had put silicone earplugs in my ears because of my husband's snoring and I can't help but think that this may be the cause otherwise it's too much of a coincidence! Right now, I'm waiting until the tickling goes away again, and I'll experiment one more time to see if the silicone earplugs cause it. I may be totally off mark, but it's worth sharing, just in case all of you are earplug users. (02/25/2009)

By Angela

RE: Tickling Sensation Inside Ear

I wear a night guard (bite plate) because I grind my teeth in my sleep. When nothing worked to stop the maddening itching in and around my right ear, my wife suggested that I try wearing the night guard during the day. I was skeptical, because my TMJ problem had caused pain in the jaw and temple areas, but no itching sensation. It worked! I asked the ENT specialist who had examined my ear (and found nothing), and he said that TMJ can cause some strange symptoms. He had not heard about itching before, but he said TMJ was probably the cause. (03/18/2009)

By ronsard

RE: Tickling Sensation Inside Ear

Hi once again. I'm sorry to say there doesn't seem any answers to this problem, I have been free from it for almost 10 months and out of the blue I have just started to feel this again very slightly. My only answer is to massage behind the ear gently and also move the whole ear around in a gentle movement this I feel may release a nerve or pressure within the ear. Also try relaxing your jaw as clenching your teeth may cause this sensation who knows? Good luck. (09/16/2009)

By pepermintpark

RE: Tickling Sensation Inside Ear

A friend of mine had this years ago. She ended up going to a doctor who isolated a nerve that was causing the trouble, and they used a laser to do surgery and cut that nerve. She has had no trouble since. (10/20/2009)

By mom-from-missouri

RE: Tickling Sensation Inside Ear

I know that this might sound crazy, but "chew gum"! It works for me and I have been suffering with the tickling sensation for over a year. (02/04/2010)

By Larry