Repairing a Frayed Drawstring

I have a pair of pants with a drawstring, and it is starting to fray. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how I could repair and save this drawstring. Thanks.

Steve from Phila, PA

Twist the frayed ends with a dab of glue so it'll hold together then dip ends in liquid tape( the kind you use on tools),then let dry. Also you can buy liquid plastic at craft stores or on the cheap you could dip the ends in enamel paint a couple of times allowing it to dry in between dippings. I've salvaged a lot of shoelaces and draw strings like this. Much easier than replacing them.

buy shrink tubing at any hardware store ,they use it for wires you heat it and it shrinks around the item....good luck

on ribbons and such to keep them from fraying i use fray block. sold in walmart in the craft department for $2 you just run the tub under hot water for 3 minutes shake and apply a small dot or amount to the area in need to protect let the item dry. it will not fray any further.

My fave mending and stablizing item..... clear nail polish.

Hi everybody. Thanks for your feedback. The fraying is actually occuring where I tie the knot. I don't know if that makes a difference, but I'll give the fray block or clear nail polish a try. Thanks again.

I have repaired several drawstrings that were fraying by sewing the ends with a matching coloured cotton. Just gather the frayed bits together and sew in and around them to secure. I also had to do this to replace metal cord ends which had rusted and had to be cut off. I just sewed up the cut ends so they wouldn't unravel.

Hi, Steve:

you can replace the drawstring with another one, either a sports shoelace (which will be pretty long) or some other type of cord -- just tie the new cord to the old cord, and pull the other end of the old cord, pulling the new cord in through the casing of the pants. You can tie knots in the ends of the new cord

to keep them from 'retreating' into the casing and getting lost. You can also sew the new cord to the center of the casing in back to keep it centered.

What we used to do was use clear Scotch brand tape to wrap around the frayed end of the drawstring & gently heat the end with a lit match, just enough to melt the taped end a little bit & it was good as new.

Make another string, stitch it to the old one end to end, and pull the old one out as you pull the new one in.

Home and Garden Repair ClothingDecember 31, 2007
Man Repairing a Shoe
Repairing Shoes
Nice light blue dress shirt.
Making Shirt Collars Last Longer
striped drawstring bag
Making a Drawstring Bag
Pink Purse on White Background
Repairing Purses
🎄