Discouraging Cats from Scratching the Carpet

My cats have scratching post that they use all the time. But, in the morning when I wake up I find they have torn at the carpet. I live in an apartment. It had new carpet put in before I moved in. Usually they don't replace the padding too, in rentals.

Could there be a scent left in the padding from previous renters that is attracting them to that spot? I have lived here 3 yrs. They didn't start doing this until the last year. Is there something I can do to deter them from doing this?

By Denise from Portland, OR

Answers

Your cats are marking. You are probably right about a scent being there. There is a product called Comfort Zone with feliway that will keep cats from marking. You need to follow the directions and reapply until the habit is broken. It is a bit pricey but it works. Get the spray product. It is cheaper purchased on the internet. You might also try one of the enzyme soaks for pet accidents that you can get from pet stores. Natures Miracle is a good one.

Cat Scratching Sisal Post
Repairing a Sisal Wrapped Cat Scratching Post
Pets CatsSeptember 18, 2010
A package of cornmeal.
Dry Carpet Cleaner Recipes
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet, Upclose photo of carpet.
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet
cat outside
Discouraging Cats from Spraying the Outside of a House
A cat outside scratching the door.
Keeping Cats from Scratching Doors
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 19, 2017 at 1:25:54 PM on 10.0.0.30 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.