Why Would My Hair Turn Orange When Bleached?

I have over the years have had my hair bleached to pure white as that is what I like. The last year when I got it done, it turned out orange (my hair is dark brown). I went back to the salon and demanded it done over as the orange looks terrible. Yesterday it happened again and now it needs to be bleached again like 4 months ago. This is very stressful on my hair. I was wondering if taking a certain medication would make my hair so hard to bleach out? I take 11 different prescriptions. Can you give me some direction?

By Colleen from Canandaigua, NY

I think the hair dresser did not use a strong enough product on your hair to get the proper "lift". If you don't use the correct developer volume, dark hair cannot go all the way to blond. It isn't related to your medication. It is related to your beautician! Good luck.

I never ever had hair color problems from simple medications happen but I do have to tell you that some internal underlying conditions indeed can have something to do with unexpected chemical reactions. Even early pregnancy can affect chemical reactions when having a perm turn out as usual.

I was a hairstylist for 35 years and only twice during all those years did I have a really serious problem with hair color reactions like you're speaking of occur. I had used the exact same product and exact same color appropriate as usual for each of those two clients, one for nearly a decade and the other for over a decade.

You mention you are on 11 different medications so you obviously have some sort of health conditions. One of the times the color for one of those two hair color clients happened that I mentioned was diagnosed within just a couple of months with thyroid (hormonal) problems. I am not trying to scare you if one of the medications you take is not for hormonal reasons but in the other clients case the problem happened twice in a row and she was shortly thereafter diagnosed with leukemia.

If none of the meds you are taking are for any hormonal reasons and/or your hairstylist is still using the same formula as usual then please have a doctor do some blood work to be on a safe health side.

Mine did the same thing when two black friends and I tried to put a white streak in our hair. Both of my friends were successful, but mine wasn't. I have ash brown hair and my streak turned out to be bright orange. I put brown shoe polish in it until it grew out, as in the 60's people weren't dying their hair all the strange colors they are doing now. I assumed the problem with mine turning orange was because I didn't leave the bleach on long enough.

I completely agree with the poster Lynjohnson.

Hair "lifts" (the pigment) which is what gives us the color in our hair to begin with, and when bleach is applied, the pigment is removed gradually or in stages when bleach is applied. If the bleach/peroxide is only a particular

strength, then the hair pigment will only be removed to a particular level.

If you want "high lift" which is a lot of removal of the color pigments, then one must use a stronger bleach to remove (all color).

Since you're seeing "orange residue" in the color of your hair, it sounds like you've only gone half way to removing all the pigment.

Your hair must be in real good condition to "bleach" to this maximum lightening to begin with, because using a stronger "lifting agent/peroxide" will cause extreme breakage since it does weaken the hair.

Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips ColoringFebruary 11, 2011
A woman with long hair.
Growing Hair Faster
Woman holding a dog in arms.
Removing Pet Hair from Clothing
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
🎉
🎄