Making Fake Logs

I need your help again. I want to make faux logs to place beside my gel fireplace that uses gel fuel. I am trying rolled up newspapers and am going to paint them a wood color. What color should I paint them (spray paint) and any other ideas other than newspapers? Not sure how this idea will work out. I want them to look as real as possible

Thank you,
Sherry from Dixie, West Virginia

Why spend money on paint etc for fake logs? Go for a walk in the woods and find some real ones - for free!

The best ones I've seen appeared to be made of "paper mache" with morter mix as "glue", and heavy on the morter! I'd begin with lengths of real wood. I'd shape the paper mache' for the outside "bark" streaks, recycled flat house-paint streaks of various shades of med. grey brown, browns, beiges, and occasional dark brown specks.

They should be several sizes in diameter from about 5" diameter to 8" and made round but flattened slightly before dry so they won't roll around. There are several websites for good paper mache recipes, but I'd follow the morter mix directions, adding Elmers' glue to the outside to hold GLOSSY newsprint insert paper streak shapes(sites claim glossy works best), to finish the design. Paint them after drying for about 24 hours. Finish in polyurethane FLAT clear paint afte an additional 6 hrs of drying first painting. (Use good ventilation, or do all of this outside, if possible, on cardboard or newspaper) :

Concentrate on the ends which are full of morter only, smoother, and painted in light various colored "rings" to simulate a log. Make them about 20" long if you have room. Spray with any can of polyurethane or Scotchgard in well vented area.

Make about five and place them on an old real fireplace black metal grate, if possible, which are tossed curbside occasionally, usually in the Winter or Spring.

I found brass duckhead andirons (log trimmings to hold logs in a fireplace) once which were damaged on the back fireside, but were heavy and shiny enough that I sold them for a good price in a garage sale.

I'm assuming you have a type of fireplace to place all this inside? Store your logs in a plastic bag/then inside a box when not wanted to decorate, or improve the colors if need be. Good luck and God bless your efforts as His light shines on you.

geez, just use real ones...wash them, sit them in the sun to dry out good...spray them with a clear spray paint and throw some pine cones in there and it will be beautiful...why do you want fake ones?!??!

I am sure you can find someone that has some...wish you were around here, I have millions I could give you!!

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR IDEAS. WELL, I DID WANT REAL LOGS IN THE FIRST PLACE AND ASK MY BROTHER-IN-LAW TO CUT ME SOME SMALL LIMBS WHILE GETTING HIS FIREWOOD. THAT WAS OVER A YEAR AGO AND STILL NO LOGS......LOL.....SO, I THOUGHT "I'LL MAKE MY OWN". NOWHERE AROUND HERE FOR ME TO GET THEM MYSELF. I DID MAKE SOME FROM ROLLED UP NEWSPAPERS AND PAINTED THEM AND MADE BARK STREAKS ON THEM AND ADDED KNOT HOLES. THESE WILL DO FOR NOW UNTIL I CAN GET THE "REAL THING". THE PAPER MACHE IDEA WAS A REALLY GOOD ONE. I WOULD LOVE TO TRY THAT ALSO......THANKS SO MUCH.......HAVE A GOOD DAY........SHERRY

Like others have said, you can make them, pick them up around outside. But you can also buy a small package of logs.

On another site that I used to go to one of the ladies made fake logs using cans. She would make one can the main part and then maybe use a smaller can, like tomato paste, for a knot on the log. Sometimes she would put little animals inside the open end. When she got everything taped and put together she would paper mache' over it to give it texture and then paint it. They looked very nice.

Tonya

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR INPUT. I APPRECIATE IT VERY MUCH.

HAVE A GOOD DAY.............SHERRY

try carpet rolls (cardboard rolls carpeting comes in) approx 12 foot & cut to size and paper mache (or use burlap & glue) for texture, then painted

Fake Logs
Making Fake Logs
Crafts Home DecorSeptember 8, 2006
Petrified Forest (Flagstaff, Arizona)
Petrified Forest (Flagstaff, Arizona) Frugal Travel Guide
Gas Log Fireplace
Gas Log Tips
A wood stove with firelogs in it.
Using Fire Logs
Newspapers rolled into logs for burning.
Making Newspaper Logs
🎉
🎄