Apple-Raisin Cornbread

A delicious change of pace for cornbread lovers. This recipe can be used to make afternoon tea muffins or cornbread for breakfast without changing anything other than the size and shape of the bake pan. It is as easy as pie and packed with nutritious flavor.

• 1 cup cornmeal
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 3 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • Ad
  • 1 cup milk, barely warmed to take off the chill
  • 1/4 cup shortening, melted and cooled to room temperature
  • 2/3 cup chunky applesauce, room temperature
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1/2 cup raisins (optional)

Directions:

Mix all dry ingredients; set aside. In another bowl, combine milk, shortening, applesauce, and beaten egg. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients all at one time. Add raisins if using. Batter will be very thick. Do not overmix.

Pour into greased 9x9 inch pan and bake at 400 degrees F for 20-25 minutes. (Test for doneness since it is a heavier-than-usual cornbread batter). If the center seems less than done, cover the entire top with foil to prevent over-browning and increase bake time as needed (5 minutes at the time).

Makes 9 (3 inch) squares, or 9 regular-sized muffins

Servings: 9
Time:10 Minutes Preparation Time
30 Minutes Cooking Time

Source: This recipe ended up in our Book of Family Favorites about 20 years ago, but there is no note as to how it got there or who we got it from. It is a wonderful breakfast cornbread and one that even most children enjoy. I serve it with soft-scrambled eggs or thick wedges of extra-sharp cheddar cheese.

By Pookarina from Boca Raton, FL

I can see why this recipe ended up in your book of Family Favorites. That's where it's going in our book too. It's exactly the sort of recipe that I like best. Versitile and just plain good. My husband is an all-southern man and loves his cornbread. I think he's going to love this too. You get a definite "Thumbs Up" for this one.

Thank you Pookarina,

MisMachado

We'll take the cheese, yum-yum. :-) This sounds so good Pookarina.

Thank you for sharing.

Songwriter

Count us in Pookarina. We like any cornbread with most meals even better than hot biscuits or any kind of yeast bread or roll. Now that we've gotten older, we enjoy cornbreads for breakfast too, so this is a nice addition to my cornbread recipe collection.

I'm going to make the muffins tonight for breakfast in the morning. We just have a fresh fruit of some kind with ours and sometimes just apple butter.

So good.

Thank you for sharing.

ww

My kids would love this. Anything with raisins. And we are southern. Need I say more?

There was a little restaurant near Aurora, Colorado back in the 70's that served this type of cornbread when you first sat down at the table. Many times we'd go there in the dead of a cold winter's night, and order bowls of hot soup to go with that cornbread. I hadn't even thought of that in years, but I'm very happy to see the recipe. I always wanted to ask them for it, but back then, I was too shy. Now, we can once again have our favorite cornbread with good hot soup.

Thank you so much.

Shadow

Well, I made the Apple-Raisin Cornbread Muffins and we ate them on Friday morning. I had 2 left so I popped them in my lunch and took them to work. I shared one with a friend who wanted the recipe, and I'm taking it to her tomorrow. I must say that this is going to be a favorite at our house now. We all thoroughly enjoyed the nice moist texture and the delicious flavor. I can't think of a single thing that I'd change.

Thank you again Pookarina. I might try them next time with your Golden Pumpkin Soup. Sounds like they might make a good pairing.

ww

Cornbread Muffins
Cornbread Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts Breads CornbreadJune 23, 2010
Chili Cheese Cornbread
Chili Cheese Cornbread Recipes
Broccoli Cornbread
Broccoli Cornbread Recipes
A basket of cornbread muffins.
Gluten Free Cornbread Recipes
🎉
🎄