Is Firefox Better Than Internet Explorer?

I'm not very knowledgeable about computers, just enough to get by, so I would appreciate some information please. Is Firefox really better than Internet Explorer? I don't want to download something that will take up unnecessary space in my computer memory but if it really is better, maybe I should try it. Is it difficult to use? IE is simple, which I can manage. Thanks to all the computer savvy people out there. I will be grateful for any advice about this.

Cettina from Malta, Europe

Editor's Note: Here is an article on ThriftyFun that might be useful. It is a few years old but the information should still be accurate.

I have used both and I prefer Firefox, personally. No specific reason, it just seems to be easier to use and has less issues with crashing and websites.Both programs have very similar features (bookmarks, navigation tools, etc.) and I don't believe you would have any trouble switching over if you chose to do so. I'll be interested to see what other people have to say.

Oh, one thing that I really like with the new version of Firefox is that it does on the fly spellchecking, so if you misspell a word, it will underline it in red and you can right click to see the list of possible words. I don't think that this is true in IE because I get emails from my friends that have lots of typos in them (I know because they show up in red too!)

Better is a relative term. But I think you will find is that there are many microsoft haters out there that will tell you firefox is so much better. My experience is they are about the same to use. Yes, explorer has been attacked more in the past, the bigger you are the bigger the target you are. firefox has been attacked more lately but will probably never be as a big a target, because it isn't owned by a single corporation that many are jealous of. I prefer explorer because it is updated frequently and it works well with most websites and other programs, including security programs, which are the most important thing to have. I do keep firefox as a side program (I try to keep an alternate in case of a problem I can use the other program to troubleshoot) and I do like the different themes that are available.

If I were you, I would give it a try, evalauate it for yourself, and then make the decision. They play nice together. I've actually had both going at one time with no problems.

I may sound old fashioned, but I prefer using good old NETSCAPE as my browser of choice. (It's free to download). I log on through AOL (because all my business cards have that as an easy e-mail address) then I go right to my tried & true Netscape Browser. That's where I keep all my bookmarks, etc. My oldest son works for Microsoft & he's STILL not a huge I.E. user, but he does think me sticking with Netscape after all these years is slightly antiquated. But, then again, he thinks not totally living & breathing computers is antiquated too, so there you go!

But, then again, I'm STILL using dial-up, so that should tell you something about how much & what I use my computer for... Mostly for streaming old Coast to Coast (Art Bell) & NPR programs to listen to while I work at home & also to hang out on ThriftyFun & check my e-mail. So far, I have no great use for watching TV or Movies on line, or other fancy broadband goodies. I figure, Netscape has been around long enough to remove all the bugs & has been upgraded many times through out the years & as I said above, it works for me!

PS ---> I DID use Internet Explorer for about 6 months when I first got this computer, but my Browser was hijacked (what a pain THAT was!). They actually got me, right through my dial-up & my firewall! You'd think they'd have the sense to attack someone with broadband! Anyway, after the browser hijack, my son tried wiping out most of my hard drive to try & fix the problem. Then after all the hassle of not having a computer, when I got it back, I.E., was STILL a mess. Now, all I ever get when I try to use I.E. is porno... Porno I don't want, or ask for! (SHEESH! What if my granddaughter tried to log on through my I.E!). It seems the hackers seem to have a thing against Microsoft. They're always attacking one Microsoft product or another, so I think the more Microsoft products, you can stay away from, the better! So far, my Netscape just keeps, keeping on. No problems with it whatsoever. I stay away from I.E. like it's the plaque!

Well, you could always download firefox and if you don't like it you can delete it.

Hello Cetina. Yes, switch to Firefox. Here's a web link that I came across just after reading your question! From FamilWatchdog, "We highly recommend Firefox with the Google toolbar, because it is much safer and faster than Internet Explorer. Firefox has a track record of fixing security flaws in less than a week from announcement. Microsoft still has over 40 known vulnerabilities in Internet Explorer that are unpatched. Many of these are over 6 months old." http://www.familywatchdog.com/spyware.htm

oh dear! i STILL dont know wat to do coz the responses were so varied. i have a laptop which doesnt have a huge memory. its enuf for me but i dont want to use up precious memory for something i cud do without. wonder how much memory it wud take up?

Editor's Note Wait a few days to decide because this request hasn't been in a newsletter yet and that is when we get the majority of responses.

I love Firefox. I find it much easier to use and very secure. I agree with the try it and, if you don't like it, you can always delete it crowd. If you just try it out for a night you should be able to decide or at least have a better idea.

I LOVE Firefox. Smple as that. :o)

It is far better. It does not freeze or cause problems, and has better tools. Generally much more stable.

Firefox isn't perfect but it's been much more reliable for me than Explorer. I watch a lot of streaming vids and the like, and Explorer seems prone to an endless stream of errors, freezes, slowdown, etc. Firefox has maybe given me problems 2 times ever.

I personally like Firefox. It took me a while to get used to it but I'm glad I made the change. I still haven't figured out how to get google on my tool bar so I went to the google search page and put it on my bookmarks. It takes a couple of extra clicks but I'm retired so I have plenty of time

Computers Internet TipsMay 2, 2008
Dora the Explorer
Making a Dora Costume
chocolate cake
Better Than Anything (Sex) Cake Recipes
An upclose photo of a laptop keyboard.
Saving Money on Your Internet Bill
A grandma smiling while using her tablet computer.
Computer and Internet Training for Senior Citizens
🎄