Room Color SchemesDecorating

Color Advice for Decorating Around a Black Leather Couch

I'm in my first real apartment so I don't really have any decorations. I was given a massive black leather couch and matching chair and ottoman, and I'm not sure how to decorate with them? They are black, bulky, the really fluffy kind of couch. They are nice, but not really my style.

Would it be weird to use bright colors around them? I really like bright, happy colors, like yellow, green, and blue, but I'm not sure if the couch would look strange?

Thanks in advance!

By Paige from Fort Worth, TX

Black is basically a neutral (some people call it a non-color), so any color would work with it. Brights or pastels either on would work.

Black and white is always a modern look and very attractive. Offset it with primary colored accessories like bright red throw pillows, yellow coffee table, etc. Sounds like great furniture!

PS: Check IKEA's web site for great ideas with black and white. And don't forget the black and white zebra striped rug!

PS: Check IKEA's web site for great ideas with black and white. And don't forget the black and white zebra striped rug!!!

How exciting to be in your first real place. I think your black furniture could work in combination with whatever colour/s and style you choose, whether that's modern, contemporary, classic. Maybe a throw/afghan with some black in the pattern; a rug with some black in the design; artwork framed in black (even calendar pages or thrift market finds); accessories throughout the room, all in the bright, happy colours you like, but with a little or a lot of the black accents which should tie in with the couch, chair, and ottoman. You could do it gradually if expenses are a consideration. Blessings on your new home!