Ideas for Making Dog and Cat Toys from Silk Ties

I need to make dog and cat toys. I have many silk ties. Do you have any ideas for them?

By Mary from Buffalo, NY

Old cotton socks work better. Just tie them in knots and your dogs and cats will love them. Try adding a little catnip to the cat ones. I have soaked our boxer's sock toys in beef broth, and let them dry in the freezer. In the summer, you'd think he was having ice-cream. Anyway, both are better than any toy bought at the store.

Make something else with those silk ties.

SuziQ 9

Hey Mary, I cannot recommend this idea for a pet toy. (My huge breed guys can scarf down a hand towel in minutes and this is not good for their health.)

As well, neither a dog or cat of any size should be left alone with a human designed, recycled, chew toy he or she could accidentally consume. Maybe a better use of your silk ties might be a quilt or sewn together fabric base for the skins to enjoy!

I like your idea of trying to re-purpose these ties, but don't believe pet toys are the best options. Seriously, we had a very large cat (30 pounds) that once had to go through surgery to remove a consumed thread from a homemade toy, and also had a 200 pound plus, Mastiff dog that miraculously avoided the same fate by being able to poop a pair of full-sized adult socks he dug out of a clothes hamper and digested. Love the cats and dogs both, but sometimes they just don't have the common sense to not eat the play things!

Again, I would focus the re-cycling of silk ties to quilting and human decorations. Honestly, you could make some adorable Christmas or Holiday decorations using the old ties and add a crazy quilt stitch, or make them into wall hangings and quilts for every occasion. Your human friends will be amazed and our fur friends will still be happy with sticks and such!

Just IMO! Take care and good luck!

Crafts Recycled CraftsFebruary 19, 2011
Cat playing With Elastic Cat Toy
Dangers of Elastic Cat Toys
Neck tie Christmas wreath idea.
Neck Tie Christmas Wreath
Golden silk fabric
Cleaning Silk
Dog Pulling on Rope and Tennis Ball Toy
Homemade Dog Toys