Repairing a Split in Wood Before Staining

There is a long narrow split in a wood stair that I am sanding and re-staining. Wood filler does not always stain, therefore could I mix sawdust with glue and fill it in? Or is there something someone can recommend?

By Gael from St Louis, MO

You could try it by mixing up some saw dust and glue and staining it before you apply it to the crack to see if it will take the stain. At home Depot, and I am sure at Lowes as well, there is a product sold in the paint dept that is a two part wood filler. One part is similar to a body filler, the other part is a hardner that is mixed together and used as a wood filler. After it cures one can sand and paint it. I have used it on a wood riser outside but I covered it with another board. The other idea is to replace the tread if possible. What ever product you use to repair the tread stain a sample piece before applying to the tread to make sure you are satisfied with the results.

I just saw in a woodworking newsletter that if you can clamp it well enough, cyanocrylate (super) glue will work on small cracks. Of course, small is a relative term, but it might work for you.

Is it too small for a narrow filler piece? May not look great, but it might hold together better than sawdust and glue.

Home and Garden Home Improvement Maintenance and RepairDecember 12, 2009
Cleaning up Mildew From Wood
Removing Mildew from Wood
Split Tree
Saving a Split Tree
Banana Split
Making a Banana Split
🎄
🍂
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on November 18, 2016 at 2:50:51 PM on 10.0.0.173 in 945 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.