Mildew Smell When Removing Wallpaper

I am removing wallpaper in the family room and have noticed that the paper smells, kinda musty smell. It smells stronger in certain areas. There really is no water source around this room. I am being paranoid about mildew and mold. Do you guys think it might just be the old glue off the paper?

Michelle from Selma, AL

Hi Michelle,

I understand your concern about mold. I took this test because I could smell 'moisture' in the air in my bedroom. The culprit was a Large plant that a friend had given me!

Hope this test will at least minimize what might be the cause for your inquiry.

Is Your Home Growing Mold? Take the Quiz!

Michelle, I have had a similar experience when I removed wallpaper. It was vinyl wallpaper and I imagine that soaking it in water to apply to the wall would lead to it developing a musty smell before it could completely dry. I know that some wallpapers have a fungicide in the paste, probably to prevent mold. Knowing this, I would say that it is a common thing to smell a little musty smell upon removal of the paper.

You can use Clorox Bleach, the original only, in with water 2-1, and wash the walls down. Let them dry and continue to paint, wallpaper etc; without any problems.

The bleach will clear the mold and mildew smell from the wall. My brother in law taught me that one when he was in charge of constructions and repairs to buildings in New York City. It does work.

Home and Garden Home Improvement WallpaperNovember 4, 2006
Blue and white retro wallpaper.
Cleaning Wallpaper
Cleaning up Mildew From Wood
Removing Mildew from Wood
Photo of a tent set up in the woods.
Removing Mildew from a Tent
Painting Over Wallpaper, Vintage Peeling Wallaper
Painting Over Wallpaper