Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Low Protein Dog Food Recipes

My 4.5 pound Yorkie is on a low protein diet. Does anyone have some dog food recipes?

By Barbara from Grapevine, TX

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By carolcoen [1]01/10/2010

I found a website it's called recipegoldmine it has healthy dog recipes there.

By Sandi [6]01/09/2010

Speak with your vet about the proper food to feed your dog. Making a recipe may do more harm than good!

By Jennifer Nelson [1]01/09/2010

You might want to check with your Vet. Three years ago my rescue female Doberman went into liver failure, a month after I adopted her. After 3 days in ICU, she is fine but on a very limited diet. The doctor put her on Hill's Science Diet l/d (liver diet). I am allowed to put a small amount of boiled boneless, skinless chicken breasts on top of the l/d. Otherwise, she is not supposed to have any protein.

By PENNY K [15]01/04/2010

I would think any vegetables one would put in a stew would make a good meal. The potatoes could thicken the water a little and a teaspoon of brewers yeast or nutritional yeast would add nutrients, plus a little olive oil. Potatoes, carrots, peas, celery, canned green beans [softer than frozen] maybe a little corn. Oatmeal might be nice.

Vegetable broth could be used to simmer the veggies. Some dogs like watermelon, ours did. Also spaghetti, if not made with much meat or any. Your neighbor should read the label and find out what's in the low protein food, and try to copy it's ingredients. Brown rice and peas. If the dog is allowed any protein, a teaspoon of cottage cheese or yoghurt might be just enough.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Low Protein Dog Food Recipes

I need low protein dog food recipes for a dog with kidney failure. I appreciate the help, my neighbor cannot keep paying the price for the dog food from the vet. Thanks in advance.

Susan from Hamilton, Ontario

RE: Low Protein Dog Food Recipes

This site has easy recipes for food that supports dogs with kidney problems: caninekidneyhealth.com They also sell products to support dogs' health and have some miracle stories, but the recipes for supportive dog food are free. (05/21/2008)

By Christine

RE: Low Protein Dog Food Recipes

Hill's Dog food has this home-made recipe for Canine Restricted Protein Diet:
  • 1/4 lb ground beef (do not use lean ground chuck)
  • 2 cups cooked white rice (No salt added)
  • 1 hard cooked egg (finely chopped)
  • 3 slices white bread crumbled
  • 1 tsp calcium carbonate (Tums tablet)

Cook beef in skillet, stirring til lightly browned. Stir in remaining ingredients and mix well. This mixture is rather dry and its palatability can be improved by adding a little water, not milk. Keep covered in refrigerator.

Feeding guide:

• 5 lbs 1/4 pound
  • 10 lbs 1/2 pound
  • 20 lbs 1 pound
  • 40 lbs 1 1/2 pound
  • 60 lbs 2 pounds
  • 80 lbs 2 1/2 pound
  • 100 lbs 3 pounds

I rescue Shih Tzus with major health problems and have used Hill's homemade diets for years with good results. (05/25/2008)

By JoanDogs

RE: Low Protein Dog Food Recipes

RE: Low Protein Dog Food Recipes

My 2 dogs have kidney disease, and I had trouble paying the cost of the prescription dog food, too. My vet gave me a copy of the homemade food listed in this message board. (cooked hamburger and rice, bread, 1 egg) And I alternate between that and the Hill's KD. Sometimes my dogs won't eat one or the other, so I alternate when they get fussy. It's a cheaper way to go, since you can't use good beef, it has to be the greasy cheap stuff like ground chuck or hamburger meat. Apparently, the leaner the meat, the more protein it has. So you have to go with the cheaper fatty meat for low protein diets. (02/17/2009)

By sandpines

Archive: Low Protein Dog Food Recipes

I need recipes for low protein dog food and low protein treats for dogs. This would be for small dogs, less than 5 lbs.

By 2Yorkiez from Katy, TX

RE: Low Protein Dog Food Recipes

Hills makes a prescription line of low protein dog food available from the vet. (11/29/2009)

By veda815