White Bread Recipe

I am looking for a recipe for good ol' fashion handmade White Bread from flour not a bread mix. One loaf to start with then I would like to do four at a time. Can anyone help me please?

Thank you,
Lambchop from Western Australia

check out here http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/beginnersbread.htm

and here http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/familybread.htm

i use these all the time

In answer to "how many loaves will this make". Typically 12 to 13 cups of flour will make 4 loaves of bread. At least that has been my experience.

Thanks HALLOWEENFREAK that is a great site, i'll give it a go.

this recipe was given to me by an old family friend that used to cook for the school. this is the simplest recipe for bread i know of and it is cheap and makes a lot of bread (3 loaves or tons of hot rolls)

1 quart warm water

1-3 envelopes of yeast (depends on how yeasty you want it to taste)

1/2 cup sugar or honey or molasses

1/4 cup shortening, lard or butter

1tsp salt

8-12 cups flour (depends on weather and type of flour)

disolve the yeast with the sugar in the warm water.

add the fat and salt. add the flour 1 cup at a time. the dough should be stiff and follow the spoon or dough hook. allow to rest and rise. knead and shape into loaves and allow to rest and rise. bake at 400 for 20 minutes and 350 till done. again this depends on the weather. but generally the entire baking time is 45 minutes to an hour.

we had hot rolls at school almost every day. and beans. beans and more beans.

This is from Bernard Clayton's Bread Book

Two Medium or three small loaves

5 to 6 cups bread or all purpose flour, approximately

3 T sugar

2 t. salt

1 pkg dry yeast

1/4 cup nonfat dry milk

2 cups hot water (120*-130*)

3 T shortening room temperature

Baking pans: 2 med. 8"x4" or 3 small 7"x3" loaf pans, greased.

In a large mixing bowl measure 2 C. flour,sugar,salt,yeast and dry milk. Pour hot water into the dry ingredients and beat by hand or with mixer to blend thoroughly. Add the shortening, continue beating.Add 1 c. flour and with a wooden spoon beat 100 vigorous strokes or with mixer 3 min. at medium speed.

If by hand continue adding flour,1/4 c. at a time and stirring with a wooden spoon until it becomes a shaggy mass. Work more flour into dough with your hands if sticky.

Kneading: If by hand turn dough out onto a floured work surface and begin to knead with a strong push pull motion. Occasionally bring the dough down hard against the work surface with a sharp whack! Do this several times during the process. If the dough becomes sticky add light sprinkles of flour.

First rising: Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover tightly with plastic wrap( all I do is place a dish towel over the bowl or use my tupperware fix and mix and put the cover on tightly).Leave at room temp. until doubled in bulk. Shaping Turn back the plastic wrap and punch down the dough. Turn onto a floured work surface and knead a moment or two. to force out any bubbles. Divide the dough into 2 or3 pieces with a sharo knife. Shape each piece into a ball and let rest on the work surface for 2 to 3 minutes. Form loaf by pressing the ball of dough into a flat oval roughly the length of the baking pan. Fold oval in half , pinch the seam tightly to seal, tuck under the ends and place seam side down in the pan.

second rising: Cover the pans with wax paper and leave until doubled in bulk about 45 min.

Preheat oven: 400* about 20 minutes before baking

Baking: Place the loaves int eh hot oven for 10 minutes then lower the heat to 350* for additional 25 to 30 minutes.

When the loaves are golden brown and sound hollow when thumped on the bottom crust they are done.

Turn out on wire racks to cool. If you want a tender crust brush the hot loaves with butter or oleo.

You can take a lot of short cuts with this recipe as you learn more about the bread. I leave my oven on 400* all thru the baking and it takes about 15-20 minutes to complete baking. This looks complicated but, it really is a simple recipe.

If you want more recipes just e-mail me and I will scan them for you.

I only have one question. Why on earth does anyone want to eat white bread anymore? Now that we know the essentail, nutritional value of multi- and whole-grains?

Try the whole-grain variety for ... 3 weeks? And tell me it doesn't taste better?

Rose Anne

Hi Rose Ann, I do agree with you about the nutritional values of multi-grains & other nuts etc and I don't mind eating them although if you have digestive problems or false teeth it makes it difficault to eat and enjoy the breads, but after i have mastered making white bread I would LOVE to make other varieties so if you could suggest some recipes for me to try I would appriciate them! Are there any SOFT GRAINS that won't cause a problem?

Cheers Lambchop

I have another question, after baking what is the best way to store the bread so it doesn't go hard, as mine turned out great until i put them in the freezer or fridge as a bulk and when I thawed it, it was nolonger soft in tecture and not nice to eat?

February 4, 2007 Flag

• 1 cup lukewarm water
  • 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
  • 2 Tbsp. yeast
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 Tbsp. salt
  • 1/2 cup shortening
  • 1 qt. warm water
  • 13 cup flour

In a small bowl, take 1 cup lukewarm water and mix brown sugar and yeast in it. In a large bowl, mix sugar, salt, shortening and 1 qt. warm water. Add 4 cup flour and beat well. Add yeast mixture. Add 3 more cups of flour and beat well. Keep on adding flour 1-2 cup at a time, beating well after each addition. When dough gets too stiff to beat, use your hands and knead in enough flour to make a soft dough. Cover and let rise in a warm place. Punch down at 45 minutes intervals, 3 times. Form into loaves. Let rise until double in size. Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.

By Robin from Washington, IA

White Bread

how many loaves does this make. I am just starting to bake my own bread.

Thanks (12/06/2006)

By moknows

White Bread

I was going to ask the same question! :-) (12/11/2006)

By Maryeileen

Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts Breads WhiteFebruary 4, 2007
Gluten free bread in a bread machine.
Gluten Free Bread Machine Recipes
Moldy bread.
Preventing Mold on Bread
Recipes Using Stale Bread, Slice of Bread on Cutting Board
Recipes Using Stale Bread
White Bread
Amish White Bread Recipes