Do It Yourself Wedding Favors

I am an artist, but not very wedding savvy. I am getting married in about a month. What is a party favor I can make that is creative and one that guests would be excited to get?

By arttist from IL

Stamping & scrapbooking stores sell "matchbook covers" that you decorate and fold up with a Hershey treasure, kiss, etc., They are easy, cheap and fun!

Perhaps a tiny terra cotta pot with a packet of flower seeds and another of soil (use craft store envelopes to subdivide.) Add a hand-written note like "As our love grows, so will these seeds," you get the idea (research quote websites). Wrap in cellophane or tulle. Best wishes!

There is a person in this same ThriftyFun newsletter, just below you, looking to sell some pretty heart candle holders. Contact her by clicking on her name (jessica) from Columbus, Ohio. You should also check out etsy. There are lots of artists who make handmade wedding things, that way you'd be supporting another artist. And congrats on your wedding!

I bought incense in bulk, in a neutral scent of "linen", bunched them together with a ribbon and added a small "thank you" medallion. They stood straight up in the metal container we used for the favors and comment/advice cards. They actually looked really good, and smelled fresh and clean! My point was finding something everyone can use without picking a gender, that's where things get expensive. The picture is really small, but you get the idea. Congratulations!

How about a magnet printed on the computer but adhered to the business card magnets, with a nice poem and your new address and phone number? Since you're an artist the design should come easy for you.

Or you could buy miniature bottles and do a "message in a bottle" thing by putting your appreciation to the guests on a paper along with your new address and phone number. This would be cute with a nice ribbon attached to the bottle. Best wishes.

July 22, 2010 Flag

We're getting married in July, and to save money we're doing everything ourselves. We will be spending the two days before the wedding, baking and cooking with our families.

For our wedding favors, we are going to line a buffet table with plates of homemade cookies we remember from childhood, made by mom, grandma, and the aunts. There will be Chinese takeout containers for guests to load with chosen cookies.

This way, each guest will be sure to end up with something they like, and they don't have to lug knick-knacks home to sit on a shelf! Plus, we get to save money on favors and relive a little bit of childhood magic.

The takeout containers are easy to find online, and you can personalize them with ribbons, stamps, or stickers.

By Heidi from Charlottesville, VA

Editor's Note: Heidi, if you get a chance, please take pictures to share.

Do It Yourself Wedding Favors

Heidi, thanks for sharing this brilliant idea. I think I'm going to use this for smaller gatherings as well. I would love to see the pictures, if you've got any. (08/19/2008)

By Trisha

Do It Yourself Wedding Favors

When my daughter married 2 years ago, she purchased small nightlights (lantern style in white) at the dollar store for favors. She wrote a poem about lighting up your life (or something) (and her husband being an electrician) and pasted onto bottom of each light. I found a pattern for a "pillow box" on the internet and we made them and put a light in each box then tied it with inexpensive lace bought in quantity. (My daughter has Victorian tastes in furniture and wanted to reflect that, too.) They were elegant on the tables and a favor that was actually useful! (01/07/2009)

By Polly G

Do It Yourself Wedding Favors

When we got married we did everything ourselves too. I bought pretty goblets at thrift stores and put candle votives in them. Looked very pretty. You can also put pretty colored tissue in them. The guests really liked them. (01/09/2010)

By kflawson

June 9, 2006 Flag

When I got married, I priced guest wedding favors but they were very expensive. Most of the items I looked at were $2 - $6 each and that was not even including the cost of the candy. With over 200 people attending the wedding, this would have been extremely expensive.

I decided to go to the dollar store and found sets of 2 crystal candle stick holders (50 cents each!) and bought over 100 sets. We decided to insert tulle wrapped candy into each unit. When we priced the cost of having a party store do this for us, it was another $1 -$2 for each unit, depending on the colors and layers of tulle and the machinery that "puffed up" the tulle. This would have added another hefty amount to the price tag.

Instead, we decided to buy the candy in bulk along with tulle, and ribbon and put together the candy inserts ourselves. It only took a couple hours to put everything together. We ended up with a gorgeous wedding favor for a fraction of the cost. It pays to shop around and do some of the work yourself!

By Mary Beth

Chrysanthemum Plants 06/09/2006
When I was married, we had virtually "dollars" for flowers, etc. I was married in November, so for flowers, to save a huge amount of money, rather than doing arrangements, etc. we bought big Chrysanthemum Plants, gorgeous yellow ones put out at the local greenhouse for Thanksgiving. They were beautiful and had pretty foil wrapped around the base. They were magnificent, as we did a simple "Open House" style reception with bite size sandwiches, etc. and as my nephew called them "horse dovers", and a punch. It was a beautiful setting with a fireplace. It was lovely and everyone enjoyed themselves
Great Idea on the candlesticks, we didn't' have "Dollar Stores" back then :)
By jeanne
Good Memories 06/09/2006
My family and I made the favors for our family weddings and showers and I love it, because you also have the memory of all the fun you had doing it. My mom, sister and I had a lot of laughs telling jokes while we did all ours. It was like a little family party,
By debbie
Flower Pots 06/11/2006
I really like that idea about the big pretty flower pots. I thought maybe about going to home depot, they sell nice flower bunches for pretty cheap and adding all sort of nice flowers to the already big flower pot idea you did to make a big flower display for any party. They make only live for the day unless you take them all out at the end and put then in water, or you can insert them into the flowers dirt with those green water stems at the end. You think this may work?
By Crystelc
A Donation to Charity 06/18/2006
I'm a banquet server and have done MANY weddings. The last one I served was very much a "budget" wedding but it was beautiful. Instead of traditional favors the bride and groom made a donation to a charity and placed cards stating something to that effect at each spot. Then they just had candies in their wedding colors in bowls at each table. I thought it was great because the couple got to spent only what they could afford, the guests didn't end up with another annoying bottle of bubbles, and of course a worthwhile charity benefited also.
By christina

Homemade wedding favor.
Homemade Wedding Favors
Weddings Wedding FavorsJuly 22, 2010
Plant wedding favors.
Giving Plants as Wedding Favors
bride and groom cookies
Buying Personalized Wedding Favors
A fancy cookie wedding favor.
Edible Wedding Favor Ideas
Colorful Bridal Bouquets
Choosing Wedding Colors