Troubleshooting a Riding Mower That Won't Start

My 17.5 Yard Machine won't start. The seat sensor and battery checked fine. When turning the starter, nothing happens, not even a click. The back wheels are also locked, even in neutral, I believe due to the safety features. Any tips on how to start it? It was working fine the other day.

By Bill

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

April 9, 2011 Flag

I have a Troy Bilt riding mower. I ran into the mailbox with the lever used to raise and lower the deck. I pulled it into the driveway to check and make sure everything was OK. After I turned it off it will no longer try to turnover when I try to start it back up. I think it's a cable or something got knocked loose for engaging the deck. Can anyone confirm that and/or tell me where to look for this to fix it?

By Matt from NC

Answers:

Call a shop that specializes in small engine repair and explain to them the problems you are having with your riding mower. You might have to take it to a shop to have it fixed. (10/10/2010)

By MCW

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 10, 2010 Flag

I have a Yard Machine riding lawn mower. I was mowing a few weeks ago and ran out of gas. I put more in and it will not start. I have tried pulling carburetor and cleaning it. It has a new spark plug and the filter is good. I had it apart and I do have fire and I am getting fuel to plug. I'm stumped, it spins without trying to start.

By rdoyle from Bushnell, FL

Answers:

Just wondering if you replaced the solenoid? (08/06/2010)

By carnation037

Have you tested all your safety switches? (09/15/2010)

By revravyid

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 25, 2010 Flag

We have a riding lawnmower and have replaced the battery, solenoid and starter. It still sill not start. It clicks when the key is turned, but the engine will not engage. We checked all the wiring. Any ideas?

By Kent171

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Repair Machines Lawn MowersApril 9, 2011
Riding Mower
Riding Mower Battery Won't Hold a Charge
Riding Mower
Repairing a MTD Riding Mower
Man Fixing Mower
Mower Won't Start
Craftsman Riding Mower
Craftsman Riding Mower Won't Start
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 19, 2017 at 12:09:53 AM on 10.0.2.172 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.