Frugal Deli Fried Chicken

Often, grocery stores will drastically lower the price of deli fried chicken towards closing time (most times you have to ask). They are usually a little dry by then. If you make a nice sauce, (i.e. Marsala, tomato, lemon etc.) and simmer the pieces in the sauce for a few minutes, they perk right up and make a delicious dinner. You can cut the breasts into smaller pieces for more absorption. I usually serve mine with pasta or rice and toss in some lightly sauteed onions and veggies.

By Doggy

At my local market, they discount the left-over deli rotisserie checkens the next morning. I can pick up a chicken for 1/2 price. I make chicken salad, chicken & yellow rice, add to canned broth and noodles for soup,or just cold chicken with this. Great price, lots of ways to reuse.

Our local Walmart Superstore is good to mark down their rotisserie chickens on the same day & can get 2 for the price of 1, also. We sometimes just cut them in quarters and freeze. Then other times we'll have a meal off of one and pull the rest of the meat off the bones & freeze in baggies. They're ready to add to anything I might have preparing for supper, whether it be soup, or just heating up with BBQ sauce stirred in for sandwiches. Nice to have on hand in the freezer!

I used to work for KFC and after closing we would sell leftover chicken for 25 cents a piece. Managers do this because they're not supposed to have over a certain amount of chicken left at closing. You can call them a few minutes before closing and ask if they're going to have leftovers to sell. Usually there are leftovers. I imagine this goes at any chicken or fish place. They'd rather sell it for a little than throw it in the trash.

Does anyone know how to make the great broccoli salad that they serve in the Wal-mart deli? Please e-mail me @

Fried Chicken on a Plate
Fried Chicken Tips And Recipes
Consumer Advice Shopping Grocery ShoppingAugust 24, 2004
Fried ice cream.
Fried Ice Cream Recipes
Fried Chicken
Canning Fried Chicken
Fried chicken in paper bucket against a white background
Copycat Kentucky Fried Chicken
Cute Little Girl in Chicken Costume
Making a Chicken Costume