Baking In A Canning Jar

Does anyone know how to bake bread or cake in a canning jar? When do you put the lid on, before or after baking?

Debra from Hampton, Tenn

Hi I have baked applesauce cake in a jar and banan bread. You put the lid on after baking. The heat from the jars wiill seal the can. You will hear the jars start popping as the cake cools then they are sealed. Only fill your jars half full with batter and grease them really well. I use a pastry brush. Use wide mouth jars only.

<b>Tina at Mommys Kitchen</b>

you bake the item first, then while still warm, screw on lid to is an item I made for gifts last year and was greatly appreciated!!

2-2/3 c sugar 3-1/2 c flour 2/3 c shortening

4 eggs 2/3 c buttermilk 1 can pumpkin

1 t baking powder 2 t soda 1 t salt

1-1/2 t pumpkin-pie spice 2/3 c chopped nuts

Cream sugar, shortening, then add eggs, mix. Add buttermilk, mix. Add pumpkin, mix. Add dry ingredients, stir in nuts. Place 1 c batter in 7 well-greased pint wide-mouth jars. Wipe batter from rim. Put jars on baking sheet and bake 2 325 for 55 min, till toothpix comes

out clean. Wipe rims, put hot seals & rings on hot jars. Will last several months without refrigeration.

All you need to do is take your favorite recipe,

Zucchini bread, applesauce raisins, spice cake, friendship breads, and carrot cake. You can even use box mixes.

All you need to do is make your recipe.

Oil and flour your wide mouth Mason jars,

Fill the jar 2/3 full,

Baking time is according to the recipe, the trick here is the second you take it out of the oven put on the dome & ban, let cool completely (on occasion I have had to trim a tasty sliver of the top to get the dome on)

They are equal to 2-cupcake's,

Figure out how many jars you will need to use for the cup cake recipe.

I have had them last almost a year in the cupboard.

If I need frosting, I have the individual packages of cream cheese, powdered sugar and a couple drops of lemon juice.

I just went to collect more jars out of my cupboards and discovered 4 jars of cake, I made them in 1988 and to my amazement the cake was still moist, and even tasted good and no I did not eat them, they went to the chickens.

Baking in Canning Jars
Baking in Canning Jars
Food and Recipes Food Tips BakingOctober 9, 2008
3 beautiful nectarines on leaves
Canning Nectarines
Jar of canned papaya balls in syrup.
Canning Papayas
Freshly Canned Pears Near Pears in a Bowl
Canning Pears
Pile of fresh cherries in front of a jar of cherry jam.
Canning Cherries