Locating a Septic Tank

How can I locate my septic tank? I know there's a dye out there. Does anyone know it's effectiveness?

Becky from Kansas City, KS

What I did was buy a steel rod 1/4 inch by 3 feet from a hardware store or a big box store. Locate from in the cellar where the waste pipe goes outside. Then from outside where the waste comes out of the cellar tap the rod with a hammer until it hits the waste pipe. Then move the rod a foot or two and do it again. Now you know how deep the pipe is. Do a few more feet then then try tapping the rod a foot or so away from the pipe on either side. Eventually you will locate the septic tank. Labor intensive but maybe someone has a better idea.

Call your township office and ask them. There is a good chance that when the septic tank was put in, a permit was issued that will state where the tank is located.

If you know who emptied the tank in the past, you can call them, and they may have notes as to where your tank is, as well.

If you use the re-rod trick; be careful! If there is deterioration to your pipes or tank (if they're old), you could punch through if you are not careful.

My husband said the dye works, but it shows where your leech lines are, and in turn you septic tank. I would borrow a metal detector and hope your septic is made of concrete(and rebar), or has some metal in it. We couldn't find ours and paid $40.00 to have them find it. It was 2 feet from where we were digging. I would imagine the dye would only give you a ballpark of where the tank is anyways. Good luck to you and happy hunting.

In order to provide for easy location and to facilitate regular maintenance, the general contractor should provide the homeowner with a plot plan indicating the location of the septic system. If you cannot locate the system from your own records, you may obtain these records from the appropriate County Health, local city or county Building and safety Departments. If the system is a very old system, there may be nothing of record.Good luck.

I think that you have snow in Kansas. When the snow is on the ground the only place that has no buildup of snow is where the septic tank is.

My husband pumps out septic tanks in FL. He looks for the greenest grass. Works like a charm.

I should have added to my story using the steel rod to locate my septic tank was the tank was only 15 feet from the house and down a depth of 15 inches. I made a drawing with measurements so I know exactly where it is for the future.

Our house is 105 years old which only adds to the utter enjoyment of trying to locate this thing. The records that do exist aren't accurate and the seller "couldn't remember who his mother used to empty the tank." But remembered it was done only the year prior. I'm beginning to question the truth behind that statement, but thanks for the hints, they're all worth a shot.

Question: wouldn't the green grass be from the leaching pipes and not the septic tank itself? I'm confused.

Home and Garden Home Improvement Septic TankMarch 20, 2009
Septic Safe Cleaners
Septic Safe Cleaners
Rid-Ex Alternative
Rid-Ex Alternatives for Your Septic Tank
clogged toilet
Unclogging a Drain or Toilet Attached to a Septic System
Safe Toilet Paper for Septic Tanks
Toilet Paper Advice for Septic Tanks
🎄