AdviceCrafts

Painting a Logo on a Hard Hat

I am trying to paint a logo on a hard hat for my daughter's boyfriend. I've tried Krylon for plastic, model car paint, auto touch up paint, and paint markers. I've tried cleaning it with alcohol first and sanding the surface. Nothing seems to work. Does anyone have any other ideas? I sure could use the help. Thank you.

Donna

Simple - don't!

Hard hats are safety equipment. For paint to take on to the surface, it needs to either be absorbed or etched. Both involve the paint getting into the material. For plastics, paints usually etch into the plastic, which means some of the plastic is dissolved, possibly weakening it.

Also, some hard hats are designed to be used in "hostile" environments, so they may come into contact with chemicals. They are designed to resist chemical attack, which is effectively what the paint does.

I would suggest you paint onto white contact (the sticky backed plastic covering stuff). Then cover that with clear contact. That should stick to the hard hat.

I am suprised that none of those worked. How about getting some clear sticker paper for your printer and sticking the logo on that way. It will be more perfect than painting unless you are really good and any printer should be able to do it. Good luck.

How about the various colors of Sharpie Pens. They do come in lots of colors now, and stay on most everything.

Every architect I've ever worked with personalizes their hard hat. It allows the construction team on sites to immediately know who they are. They usually just use sharpies, but the type of hard hat makes a difference, since they can be made of different materials. If all else fails, call an architectural firm.

Purchase fiberglass hard hat, it is not as slick as the polycarbonate, and will absorb the paint.It will still scratch but from missuse, but not simply bumping it on stuff...