CasserolesRecipes

Recipe for Scalloped Potatoes

I would like to find a recipe for scalloped potatoes.

By Margaret

Scalloped Potatoes

3 tablespoons butter

2 tablespoons flour

1-1/2 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon pepper

3 cups milk

6 medium potatoes (pared & thinly sliced)

2 tablespoons chopped onion

Make white sauce of the first 5 ingredients.

Place 1/2 of the potatoes in greased 2 quart casserole.

Cover with 1/2 of the onion & 1/2 of the sauce.

Repeat in layers.

oven 350 degrees

Cover & bake 1 hour, then uncovered 40 minutes.

Serves 4-6

I use red potatoes, whole milk & real butter. If you substitute any of the items, it won't taste anywhere near as good. This is an old recipe & it is delicious.

I make them the way my Mom made them, no recipe! Grease a large, deep baking dish (I use a large Corningware casserole dish). I use butter to grease it. Peel your potatoes. Put a 1 inch layer of thinly sliced potatoes in the bottom. Put a 1/2 inch layer of thinly sliced white or yellow onions on top of the potatoes. Put a 1/4 inch layer of shredded cheddar cheese on top of that. Sprinkle about a tablespoon of flour over that. Drop about 5 or 6 teaspoons of butter over that. Sprinkle salt and pepper over that, usually about 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. I don't like pepper, so I use less, but you need the salt. Repeat the layers until the dish is 3/4 full. Slowly pour enough milk (I use 2%) over the layers until the milk just covers the layers. Don't overfill as the milk will all boil over. Put a sheet of foil, or an oven protector, on the bottom of the oven, under the element. It will probably boil over. Bake at 350 for about an hour, or until the whole thing is tender. I stick a long butter knife through the layers, right down to the bottom, to make sure it is tender all the way through. It may require an extra half hour, if your potatoes are a bit thicker sliced. After it is cooked, turn your oven to "broil" and broil until golden brown on top. Watch it carefully so it doesn't burn. Serve hot, right out of the baking dish and enjoy!

I use a can of mushroom soup with 1/4 to 1/2 can of milk. It depends on how many potatoes you are doing. If you are doing a large amount (more than 6 or 8 servings), use 2 cans of soup. I stir the soup and add the milk first, so it isn't lumpy. Thinly slice your potatoes. Dice up an onion, as much as you like. Add potatoes and onion to soup and milk. Add more milk if it is too dry.You don't need a lot of liquid, so that it boils over, but you don't want them to get dried out either. I do all of the mixing in a bowl then transfer it over to a sprayed or greased casserole dish. Bake at 350 degrees for about 1 1/2 hours or until the potatoes are well done.