Can I Dye a Red Wedding Dress White?

I have a red wedding dress; I want it white. Is there any possible way I could have it dyed white?

By Shiloh from Tazewell, TN

It would have to be bleached. Dying is adding one color on top of another. You can't add white on top of red. So the red would need to be removed. I don't think you'd be able to remove all of the color. And I suspect the color left behind would be kind of rusty or brownish. If you managed to somehow remove all of the color and make it white, I'm afraid the fabric would be weakened.

But maybe someone else knows of some way to remove all the color . . . best of luck to you! No matter the color of the dress, I hope you have a great wedding!

What you are asking is pretty much impossible and would ruin the dress. Here is a page with good ideas for changing the looks of a black dress and the ideas can work for your red one as well. ezinearticles.com/?How-to-Dress-Up-That-Little-Black-Dress&id=3740965 Also What about adding some really nice white accent to the dress in the way of a white shawl or a huge white bow. You can have it shortened or add a jacket. Just use your imagination and you have a new and useful dress.

If it is polyester you might have a hard time bleaching all of the color out.

Anonymous

I am 99% sure this is not possible. First, it depends on the fabric and then it depends on the type of dye that was originally used and it could be red dye over another dye which is often done with clothing items. Years ago I tried bleaching a pair of gray sweat pants white and they turned out mainly peach colored with splashes of gray. Back to the fabric itself, bleach will melt holes in many fabrics and most dye removers are not strong enough to remove all color to white either. :-(

I agree, it can't be done. The best you can get would be a pink shade, but the material would probably shred.