Uses for Spearmint

If you have ever planted spearmint, you know that it is prolific! I have lots of it, and lots to spare. So here are 12 things to do with spearmint!

1. I place a branch (with leaves) in my car. When the sunlight heats it up, it releases its delicious scent naturally in the car and the leaves are even drying out for other uses!

2. Leave branches by open windows to add a fresh scent in the house.

3. Add a few leaves in your bathwater.

4. Sprinkle leaves in a dish in the bathroom to keep smells at bay.

5. Leaves in the cat litter box won't hurt either and cats seem to actually like the leaves! Catnip IS a mint you know!

6. Leaves left by any small critter cage (gerbils, hamsters, ferrets, etc) fights odors too.

7. A few leaves and a touch of oil or water in my electric potpourri smells great!

8. Of course it can be dried as a potpourri.

9. A sprig next to my bed stand it very relaxing at nighttime.

10. Keep a fresh sprig in a plastic bag in a purse or refrigerator is great for freshening breath after dinner, preventing stomach upsets, and may help you not to overindulge with sweets/unnecessary calories! It may be left on each person's plate for a fancy addition after a particularly spicy or garlicky meal.

11. They may be left in your shoes or sneakers to freshen them in between wears!

12. Plus they may be rubbed onto the skin when you get hot and start to perspire!

I haven't even mentioned all the wonderful drinks and foods it is normally added to! Some folks freeze a few leaves in ice cube trays to add to soups or drinks too! Fun and fancy. Enjoy!

By AHA! from Sterling, PA

I just read yesterday that mice do not like the smell of spearmint so it makes a good natural mice repellant.

What a fantastic list! Makes me want to race out and buy a spearmint plant!

PainterLee, I'll race you to the store! I love this list!

Add to the pan when boiling new/fresh dug potatoes - gives a lovely flavour (I put the boiled mint into the compost bin) - marvellous with waxy salad potatoes.

Photo fo a spearmint plant.
Uses for Spearmint
Home and Garden Gardening HerbsJuly 13, 2010
metal burner covers
Uses for Burner Covers
Uses for Juicer Pulp
Uses for Juicer Pulp
Spearmint growing in a container.
Growing Spearmint
🎉
🎄