Chicken Pulling Out Its Feathers

My chickens are molting at the moment. My concern is that one of the hens is pulling out her own feathers! Should I be concerned or is this normal. I only have five hens and they don't seem to have any lice causing them this strange behavior. The only feathers left on her are her wings and head. What a sight! Can anyone please help?

Carolyn from South Africa

Answers

I don't know if this helps or not, but my in-laws African Gray parrot would do this. It was young, and attributed to nervous behavior, it had to go through a long move (they were building a home) and any change in it's environment would set it off. May be just a nervous chicken. Do you have vets that are in the area for livestock?

Chicken
Chicken Pulling Out Its Feathers
Parakeet
Parakeet Losing Its Feathers
Feather Kids Craft
Crafts Using Feathers
Feather
Decorating With Feathers
Cute Little Girl in Chicken Costume
Making a Chicken Costume
🎄
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on November 23, 2016 at 1:57:26 PM on 10.0.0.42 in 935 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.